Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Home Staging in France

It is big business in France now; there is a TV prog which does up houses to look like IKEA showroom places, and they almost always seem to sell.
I am doing something like this to my place at the moment, though to be fair, I have in the back of the mind that it might not sell too quickly, so I might as well be comfy until it does.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I have some French friends who have their house on the market at present, and they clearly have not seen any of these programmes! It's full of knick-knacks, on walls as well as surfaces, and cumbersome furniture that makes it look smaller and darker than it really is.

They are surprised they haven't had any offers yet...

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Don't know about France, but the smell of coffee percolating was said to be a powerful attraction to people viewing a house in UK. Another one was newly baked bread........ or cakes, Sweet!!!Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Coffee is very true! Bread and cookies are a bit forced and not so effective I've found. The key is clutter as so many people have mentioned, removing personal objects and cleanliness. One other tip that makes a big difference is making sure your home feels light and bright. No one wants a dark cave to live in.
www.frekonline.com
   Report   Reply Quote

Well they said on the news that places were selling in about three weeks and I'm sure that some do.

Report   Reply Quote

One of the houses we looked at which had dishes and ironing piled up, toys everywhere, filthy bathroom and strange, long winding corridors made by dividing rooms up also had a surprise waiting as we left. The owners collared the estate agent and we looked back to see his face looked rather odd. They had just told him that the house could only be sold with the cemetery which belonged to it! Apparently in the days of divisions between Huguenots and Catholics, Protestants had to bury their relatives on private land. We drove the few kilometres to find the cemetery, and found it hedged around in the middle of a field, marked by either yew or cedar trees - memory failure! We weren't interested in the house, but found the cemetery fascinating.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

When OH and I view houses I can see through the clutter and what can be made of a house. However, OH cannot and unless well presented cannot see what can be made of the house.

We sold a house that we had rented out. The girl who lived there looked absolutely fabulous when she went out but the house was filthy - never any problem with her so whilst OH was distressed by the house I always thought it can be cleaned. We got stuck in and two weeks later had the family bathroom and en-suite refitted, everywhere repainted and a light cheap carpet laid throughout. Result it looked superb and sold in two days. That was in the UK.

In France it seemed that houses owned by the French, in the main, did not have a clue or is it that they expect clutter and washing etc everywhere and, if that is the case then 'foreigners' need to get used to it.

What I find even worse than French estate agents photos are the absolute lies in the details.
BREXIT - wonder what the future holds
   Report   Reply Quote

One of the (empty) houses we went to see before we bought the place we now live in could almost have been staged NOT to sell. The piece de resistance was a dog, obviously dead for at least a week, chained up outside the front door!

Citroen H - State of the Ark Motoring

My Building Blog
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine