Swimming Pools in France

Topic has 18 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Hydrochloric acid?

Hi Gluestick and John,  Isn't that a capacitor run motor rather than a capacitor start? never heard a centrifugal  switch cut out on a domestic pump?

Handy link Gluestick.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Théière wrote:
Hi Gluestick and John,  Isn't that a capacitor run motor rather than a capacitor start? never heard a centrifugal  switch cut out on a domestic pump?

Handy link Gluestick.

Electric motors these days, Thé come in a dazzling variety of flavours! Jonz states the motor is rated at 1,100 watts; well at 230V AC, that's 3/4 horsepower in old money. Quite a chunky lump, then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_motor

I have a venerable old single phase 1/4 motor which for years I've used as a rough slow-speed grinder, polisher: centrifugal start - capacitor run

Increasingly today, smaller induction motors use either a separate starter winding and a PTC (Positive Temperature Co-efficient Thermistor) rather than the old centrifugal starter; (typically, fridge-freezer motors) or are capacitor start-capacitor run.

"Yes, but that apart, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote

Jonz: having thought a bit more about this, I do wonder if the problems with the timer are mains transients and "spikes", rather than contactor points arcing?

When the pool pump motor starts, the current inrush on a motor rated at 1,100 watts would be pretty enormous and on French wonderful campagne mains supply, would usually cause a voltage droop.

Most solid state as against mechanical timers use a relay to switch the load: therefore, the timer circuit itself is isolated from the effects of the load switching.

Therefore, a simple mains filter for the supply feeding the timer circuit should solve your problem.

Conrad should have these: the last one I bought came from Maplin in UK: simple plug in thing to remove interference from the kitchen micro-hi-fi every time fridge-freezer turned on etc.

"Yes, but that apart, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

Gluestick
   Report   Reply Quote

When I did my electrifical training there were 745.699872, approx, to 1 hp so that makes the pump motor even more chucky at about 1.4751242977 Woot! [:-))]Big Smile [:D]

And yes, it is one of those kind of motor and I ain't taking it to bits ti find out which Whistles [Www]Whistles [Www]

Edit :  - Our posts crossed there. When we changed our Livebox we got another surge protector with it and that got plugged into the feed for the Chemigem pool controller and that made no difference. So as it stands it should protect the controller from any surges caused by the motor starting, but I doubt it would stop any arching caused by the contactor switching the pump on/off?

I will see if I can get a snubber ordered, but on the Conrad.fr site they want 3.70€ for the bit and 8€ for the postage Woot! [:-))]Woot! [:-))] The dammed thing is only the size of a box of Swan Vestas!!! There isn't a rush as it's been going on like this for a couple of years now, so I'll get into the motor place next time we go into Carcassonne.

I agree with TP, that's a good site you posted for the elect theory..

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Jonzjob wrote:
When I did my electrifical training there were 745.699872, approx, to 1 hp so that makes the pump motor even more chucky at about 1.4751242977 Woot! [:-))]Big Smile [:D]

My old 3/4hp under normal running load used to burn 723 W/h
If only you weren't so far down the road John,  could get that electricity bill way down to 100-120w and then no nasty spikes.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Oh my God, no

Report   Reply Quote

OK??? Which god is yours and why 'no' Confused [8-)]

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Just signed up and first post ! A troll I would assume. Or maybe someone from FE ?

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine