French Education

Topic has 8 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French university education

HoneySuckleDreams wrote:

No1 Son did a year of Medicine in Toulouse - mostly free of charge although we had to help out with some costs. He got a bourse - which is means tested - and he gets his own allowance from CAF. It "almost" covered everything.  He didn't make it into the 2nd year though as he didn't make the top 80 (out of around 800 who started the year). To be honest not many do and those that stay on try for a few years to make the cut to move on. He switched to Sports Science in Nancy and because my own personal situation changed he didn't get a bourse. So our funding had to increase, mainly for rent. There is a way to claim the money you give against Tax you pay, but it also means that they have to go down the Tax declaration route, and we found out too late for this year so I don't know exactly how it works.

No2 son has just passed his BAC so he is on his way into Uni land as well, although he is considering the Royal Engineers as a career.

I have heard that Holland is a good place to go to Uni, I'm not sure of the costs but a lot of the courses are now taught in English

And of those 80 who pass first year medecine.......probably 75-80% will be those who are re-sitting their first year. And for those who decide to try their luck at doing that first year all over again, then if they fail, I have known several who head up to Nancy, seems to be the place of choice for failed toubibs.

And then sometimes they still have a year of prépa before they start say, training to be a kiné.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine