French Education

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: School lunches in France

If you want your children to go to a state school then you are supposed to use the closest one, or get a derogation, there has to be good reasons.

The private schools where I used to live one had to pay fees based on income. Although this is not the case everywhere from what I can gather.

My BIGGEST regret my kids being 'educated' in France. It isn't that it never works, because some kids conform and are fine and some can and do thrive, you get any deviation, and deviants suffer! a lot!!!!!

Report   Reply Quote

Just to confirm:
1) You have to get a dérogation from the local Inspector to send your child to a more distant school
http://www.education.gouv.fr/cid5509/la-carte-scolaire.html
here is a model letter
http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/maman/pratique/scolarite/31/carte-scolaire-demande-de-derogation.html

2) Some schools make difficulties over packed lunches.
3) Small schools often have one single class for all the children
4) The idea of giving individual attention to specific problems is not widespread, and some would see it as opposed to the 'same for all' principle of the Républic.

Never forget that France is a foreign country and British preconceptions aren't necessarily shared.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Also, if you intend to spend many years in France and your children follow the school system up to Lycée, there is the question of school transport. Our two sons have gone through the system to Uni. We live in a village and the school bus stopped in the village and took them to junior school through to College. Many rural bus stops have been deleted and the service reduced. This means either you have to take them to school or the bus stop each day, or they walk quite a distance to the nearest one. OK in summer perhaps, but no fun in the dark winter days. Both our sons were weekly boarders at Lycée - all of 15 mins away by car but nearly 90 minutes on the school bus as it did the tour of all the communes, morning and night!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine