Swimming Pools in France

Topic has 9 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Strange notice at pool

Chrisse,

Absolutely, same as me, I pant when only doing three breaststrokes across the pool, that's all the space there is .... but it is very relaxing.  Apnée, no thank you, being breathless and hurting with it is quite enough for me... but my father was a pilot life saver (and had a Royal Life Saving Society medal for it we found) so he was probably quite aware of this.  Sadly, towards the end of his life, he dare not swim alone in case he was disabled by cramp (he was almost 93 when he died earlier this year!), and he had the most perfect splash-less crawl I have ever seen ... beautiful.  I remember he sat and watched me swim the last time he was here, and helped be improve my stroke, which sadly, I cannot now follow, as the degenerating hip means I have now to swim with an adapted stroke.  Tant pis!

PS I am not a very good swimmer, as until 3 years ago I was very short sighted, and until I had my cataracts removed (some here will remember my joy!), I could not even see the other side of the pool, even 3 strokes away.  Now age is creeping up, but I still enjoy being able to get into the water.... albeit very badly!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Strange notice at pool

I was actually very jealous of you ladies with your (not so) slow and pathetic breast stroke, before I realised that apnée was the way to go for me I would make a tremendous thrashing crawl stroke using loads of effort, lock solid and start sinking each time I tried to breathe, after only one length I would be breathless and exhausted, and all that time the women would effortlessly glide past me not even making a ripple in the water, with perfectly dry coiffed hair, chatting to each other using seemingly zero effort.

I want to learn to swim properly because I want to do a triathlon, if I end up swimming like a woman then that jis ust fine by me, I will be as fresh as a daisy for the 60K bike ride and 22K run or whatever it is they do after the swim, as things are I would need to be medivacced after the swim.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine