Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: recipe please for a cake with fresh figs

hyacinth bucket wrote:
, nothing needs to be too exact.

oo you won't win GBB with an attitude like that Wink [;-)]

Do not believe anything until it has been officially denied
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you, Mrs Bucket.  Reassured now, I will definitely be making it!

Pierre, as you know, I go out walking a lot and I come across all sorts of fruit trees.  My French companions all agree that the "white" figs taste a lot better than the black.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Lidl have a Greek yoghurt if it is one of the days when there is anything in stock.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Pat, I made that cake aux figues in your link today.

As the figues were only small, it took 7 of them to make up the required 300G.  The cake was moist and you could really taste the fresh figs.

The mixture is very like a recipe I use from the La Poste calendar of a few years ago to make banana cake.  That cake is also very moist.

It's only a small cake and didn't even get to the top of a 1-lb loaf tin.  Next time, I will make the cake 50% bigger and I think I will add some roasted walnuts or perhaps some flaked almonds.  A bit of crunch should make it more interesting

Mrs Bucket, I haven't made your Turkish yoghurt and figue cake yet as I haven't been able to get to the shops and I don't have enough Greek yoghurt in the fridge but I am really looking forward to trying it.

It's so nice to do a bit of baking again, the weather having cooled downSmile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Glad you enjoyed it Mint.
I was going to add another one from this week's Rustica, chocolate and fig cake,  but I think they've left out something.

Report   Reply Quote

Back on line tonight and even back on wifi.

So, tomorrow Mrs Bucket's cake; having bought the Greek yoghurt and dug out the spring-form cake tin from the sous sol.

Pat, that figue cake of yours was really, really nice.

Might make some fig jam tomorrow as we are now getting lots of ripe figs and the méteo doesn't look too hot for jam making.

Report   Reply Quote

That all sounds lovely.

Stuck in England For a while, we're just about to miss a fig festival we attend every year at a village in the Gard - figs in everything, all delicious, plus masses of figs on sale in the various supermarkets, greengrocers etc.

I saw figs on sale in M&S this week - 50p each! Couldn't believe it! They didn't look lovely and big and juicy either; our son bought a couple to take back to his home as they don't get such things where he lives near the south coast of England so he was very pleased with them.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Friends have a fig tree, we always ate them green. I think I made a compote with them once, but preferred them fresh. I do love fig rolls though and never thought about making them.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine