South West (Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées)

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Wanted: Property Let or Purchase Near Sarlat/Salignac

What’s to like around Sarlat ...........
well, apart from the foie gras and confit de canard, the beautiful, often spectacular countryside, the mild weather, the cepes and girolles and the home grown fruit and vegetables, it’s the people.

Our nearest neighbour ( about 150 metres away) is more like a brother than a friend. Other neighbours have spent time in our house in England while we’re in France and we get invited to all the village events or just go along to them. I just don’t see many English although at an event last year I did meet a woman who had lived in Domme for so long that it was easier for us to converse in French than in English.

As for Sarlat, there’s a theatre festival in the summer, a film festival in the autumn and regular exhibitions of good artists, many more than in similar sized towns in England. The chocolate breakfast on the Rue de l Republique in Sarlat is truly wonderful even if it does require a week’s dieting to get over it.

I’m not surprised that a teacher has a low opinion of the English children’s French if it anything like the level of English taught to French children which is, in my opinion, quite poor. I’ve had to help lots of the kids out.

Report   Reply Quote

Don't take any notice of him, PS101. He can't help it. It's his hobbyhorse.
ALBF - how do you know that PS101 hasn't got a well paid job lined up in the area? Or has family in the area? Or happy memories from his/her youth? Or just wants an adventure?

Report   Reply Quote

@ Hoddy

You have just described the whole of France. That is my point. What you have described can be found in Pas de Calais as well as everywhere else. So why the Dordogne ?

In terms of schooling, putting children into a school that has many other English speaking children could have a detrimental effect on their ability to learn French. What the teacher was saying was that expat children leaving school in the Dordogne area tend to be relatively bilingual but not really good in either language. No mans land type of thing. It was interesting what he had to say.

@Patf. How are your British neighbours getting on ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

ALBF:

So why the Dordogne ?

Well why the hell not. We know it's not your cup of tea and mine neither, but why shouldn't people move to and enjoy the Dordogne?

I would go brain dead living in a 60 sq. metre box in the Ile de France. You it seems are happy, or at least prepared to put up with it. I don't quiz your motives, I don't harp on about Paris being a busy rat-run of a place, full of the most ignorant and arrogant of the French nation plus a whole bunch of foreigners and tourists to drive you to distraction. I don't complain about the rip off Parisian prices for just about everything from an apartment downwards.

Just accept that we are all different. We have different motivations and different desires and thank goodness for that, otherwise the top of my little mountain would be very, very crowded.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Andy, your opinions of Paris are very Cliché are they not. It is not like that at all how you describe. Well not in the suburbs.

Living in a 60 sq metre flat for two years. You have to do what you have to do in France. France is a hard place to earn a living. I am sure everyone will agree.

I stand by my point I made about schooling. Just be careful moving to rural areas with kids. Thats all.

I know many people who have inherited houses (us included) in beautiful rural areas who could sell up their main house tomorrow and move and live a comfortable life in the countryside. One of our friends has a suburb chalet/family house in the mountains of Savioe near Moutiers. All free and with views to die for and 30 mins from the slopes. It is a dream place and I am sure many thousands of expats would move there tomorrow.

However, our friends who own it (and they are not well of at all) will never move there with their kids.

I am just putting forward the French view on life in France.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

ALBF - which British neighbours? 

Report   Reply Quote

"I am just putting forward the French view on life in France."

Well, you're putting forward the French view of life as taken by those who happen to prefer living in cities. Then there's the other French view of life, as taken by those who happen to be happier living in the countryside and hate built up areas :-)
   Report   Reply Quote

@ PATF

I thought your neighbour was British and hated France ???
You have also said that there have been many British families that moved into your area over the years who have since moved back because of lack of work ???

Am I confusing you with someone else ?? I am getting old so you have to forgive me.

@ Eurotrash

I don't prefer cities at all. I am country born and bred. I would buy my friends chalet/house in the mountains (150,000 euros for anyone interested) tomorrow if we did not have kids. Blimey, we would be rich.....well not for long. That is the problem.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine