French Food and Wine

Topic has 38 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: A recipe from 1905

Yes, doudoune, I also love that as an entree.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

T'is an ancient Italian recipe my memere taught me. So far older than 1905.
JFB

Report   Reply Quote

But your memere must have lived near the coast, then, as freshness would not have travelled far inland.
   Report   Reply Quote

I have made both the mackerel recipes; they are delicious, but I added a few crushed baie de genievre. On reflection, I prefer my original one as the texture is rougher.
By the way, the mackerel seem to be really fat and tasty at the moment, better than the summer ones, IMNVHO.

The next recipe, below, I also made but poached it by popping the ramekin into the poacher for a few minutes. I prefer soft but others may not.
Decide which cream you like best, the thicker the better.
The French seem to love the eating the egg quite soft with a nice runny egg yolk, though they use a teaspoon.

Remember it is an entree

Here it is:

Oeufs a la creme (Poached eggs with cream)
Put a tea spoon of good quality fresh cream (you could substitute bechamel sauce but it will make the dish cruder) into each ramekin, one per person. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Now, break a very fresh egg into the ramekin being careful not to break the yolk and then pour over it another teaspoon of cream or bechamel.
Put them in a bain-marie. Leave to cook for five minutes in a hot oven. When the eggs are soft and milky they are ready. Serve immediately.

Comments please

Report   Reply Quote

I'll look out for mackerel this week - as I wrote before (I think) it's one of our favourite fishes.
I usually just fry it gently on both sides, no oil needed. Like idun, I think you need some form of potatoes with it so I usuallyserve with some casseroled veg., majority potatoes.
Smoked mackerel is good too.
Recipes from 1905 - apart from Mrs. Beeton I've never had a recipe book that old. I had one of recipes from WW2 but lost it during one of our many moves.
It included creative ideas using the very limited food supplies of those days, mostly homegrown veg..The only recipe I remember from it was baby turnips with onions and black treacle. There was also a recipe for home-made baked beans. I've tried both, and they were good.

Report   Reply Quote

Here is another entrée recipe from 1905. I will be trying it as soon as possible. Enjoy.
The lack of detailed ingredients lists is typical of early recipes I think.

Pain de foies de volaille

This entree is well suited either for a lunch or dinner.

Cut two raw chicken livers and one duck liver into small cubes and mix into a fine Bechamel sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Now pass the mix through a fine fine mouli or rub through a metal sieve .
Stir three egg yolks, one at a time into the mixture. In a clean bowl stiffly beat the three egg whites until very stiff and fold carefully into the mixture.

Butter a timbale mould (a small metal or silicon mould), pour in the mixture and cook in a bain marie in a moderate over for an hour. Serve with a tomato or cream sauce.

This recipe is very practical as it can be varied to taste using, for example, sheeps' or calves' brains though these will have to be blanched and the skin removed.

On days of abstinence you could use fresh or tinned salmon. The cream sauce can be varied by adding mushrooms.

It can be served cold with a Vincent sauce.

Should you choose to use game, veal, ham, rabbit, hare or poultry make sure that skin is removed from the meat.

Report   Reply Quote

Isn't this just a souffle recipe, sort of looks like it to me????Confused [8-)] You'll have to let us know how it is.

And I must ask, what is a fine bechamel sauce, it's the 'fine' bit I don't understand, not the actual sauce.

Report   Reply Quote

...............er without lumps?Big Smile [:D]

Maybe a THIN sauce?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine