French Language

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French words you are pronouncing incorrectly

LOL french is complicated...........

Says she who is just about to make some scownes, or is that skonnes!Wink [;-)]  I say skonnes, incidentallyWhistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

Yummm!
Skons for me, too, idun! See, or even dee skons would be better still!

Report   Reply Quote

Don't forget that the ex President Pompi-doux once said after hearing an English person talking that English is only French pronounced badly Woot! [:-))]

I have a way that the French could save a fortune on their printing bills. All they have to do is to print the letters in a word that the actually pronounce Cool [8-|] We do the same but not to anywhere near their degree.

And where the hell do you get the sound 'WA' from 'OIE' Confused [8-)]

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Saves starting a new thread, what the hell is the following supposed to be and what does it mean?

Y a pu qu’à

Vous n'avez qu'à demander (or whatever the final verb) I get but the above doesn't mean that, it was in the context of the following E-mail message telling me that I have qualified for and am signed up for the semi-finals of the cross country championship.

Hello  à tous

Vous êtes inscrits au demi finale

Y a pu qu’à

isa

The final "isa" is a contraction of the sender Isabelle, do you think the "hello" is for me or just being trendy?

Report   Reply Quote

Does it perhaps mean "all you have to do now is......................" ?

If so then I'm gratified that she didn't use "euuuhhh............................." Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Yes, it does.

Report   Reply Quote

Someone just explained to me that its very common now for correct speech to be so contracted that it becomes like baby talk, in this case plus being contracted to pu is a step too far for me, with all the trailing euuhhs here where people are not capable of making a coherent sentence I am used to having to guess what people want to say but are seemingly incapable of but the lack of the final verb would make one think that they are using the past participle of pouvoir.
   Report   Reply Quote

Jonzjob wrote:
Don't forget that the ex President Pompi-doux once said after hearing an English person talking that English is only French pronounced badly

I think that Victor Hugo said that first - or at least before.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine