French Language

Topic has 46 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: British words the French are pronouncing incorrectly

"angry" and "hungry" - amazing how they will put an H on the wrong one and leave it off the right one.

Going back to idun's "apple", maybe there is difficulty for French people pronouncing two consonants together? "Apple" being one, but of course "Southampton" is a classic - that combination of "th" with another h following is near-impossible.
   Report   Reply Quote

Chancer, as I learned on the hoof too, sometimes I try and look french words up and have no idea how to spell them. And I really do try and pronounce properly, but have no gift, so my best is all I can do......

Sadly, I am also useless at english spelling and can have the same problem in english.Blink [blink]

Report   Reply Quote

Just had a mid term renter leave after 3 months, we got on well and he would often try pronouncing English, his younger brother is very accomplished.

I tried him with Southampton and he did OK but was initially saying Selfhampton, once over that he was not bad, then I showed it to him written and he could no longer pronounce it, completely tongue twisted, sort of proved my theory.

He gave me some boîtes de conserves and to my dismay I find that le géant vert says "oh-oh-oh"  and not "hoh-hoh-hoh" there are so may words that are in my mind deliberately mispelled or mispronounced when they enter the French language that I think its deliberate when they either dont have a French word or the one insisted on by the Académie is not taken up in common speech, even French newsreaders who speak superb English will mispronounce terms doing an item to camera yet when interviewing someone in English they will pronounce them perfectly.

And when a French person throws in some English words or even a phrase it completely throws me, all of a sudden I cannot understand what they are saying, the words sound familiar but make no sense, I am completely unprepared for it given that I have not been able to speak English in France since 12 years. The younger brother of the tenant arrived, I did not reconise him so thought he was yet another person looking for hébergement, he spoke to me in English with a mix of French and erman accent and prononciation, initially I had no clue what he was saying or even what language it was, took me a while to reset, its not so bad in summer when I have a constant flux of different nationalities speaking either French or English with strange accents but one very quickly falls out of practice.

Report   Reply Quote

I remember a woman I used to know quite well saying that I must know 'michael field'. She did her best to say it in english, but her accent was very strong. So she put tubular bells on, and I said 'Mike Oldfield'.......... which with an astonished expression she said that that was what she had said! Now I have not got the ear, but she didn'tWhistles [Www]

I remember learning lots of I suppose infantile terms from a neighbour....... ie splash was for her schplouf..... although others say plouf....... maybe that was colloquial to her original region. And Beee for Baaa  and cows 'meuh' and cocoricoco for a cockeral's crowing........... as french people tell me, their national emblem is the only animal that sings it's own praises, as stands in it's own mer de!Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

Bournémouth.

They pronounce the e.

Idiots
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

But that is how french is learned, so not really a surprise.

Remember the first time my son saw this written down, and in spoken english was fully aware of these people and could say their names properly.

He said:

More ray Comm bay and Vee Zay

Know who they are???Idea [I]

Report   Reply Quote

Nope, got me stumped there, idun!

I was mystified when French friends said I must know "Benn-eeel" though.
   Report   Reply Quote

Idun wrote : More ray Comm bay and Vee Zay

Morecombe Bay I can do, but Vee Zay is puzzling.

Sue
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine