French Language

Topic has 12 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: another car vocabulary question, please

Dear kind people, all now resolved.  There was a problem with one of the leads and thus one cylindre was not firing properly.

The garagiste said he was flummoxed because he said that as he'd changed the bougies and done other stuff, it was not possible for the engine to be pire than it was.

Anyway, he went off with OH for a drive and it was fine until they came to a hill, when the engine laboured and nearly cut out.

Apparently, what had happened was that one of the leads had become displaced, though he didn't know how that could taken place because he said they were a certain profondeur and that it wasn't possible for a lead to jump up

Anyway, there she goes again, smooth and sweet and the garagiste only charged me 10 euros and we took nearly an hour of his time plus a new lead.

Special note to ALBF:  cher ALBF, I want to say thank you to you.  When you said I needed to chill and take one problem at a time, I knew you were talking sense.  I'd got to a stage when I felt very lonely and beset with problems.  Everything seemed too time-consuming.  I have had disturbed nights for weeks because of having to get up for our dog and I have been under the weather for weeks after a cold that keeps recurring and a persistent cough that debilitated me.  I have not been able to exercise as normal and also lost my appetite.

No excuses, just one of those episodes that get you down despite there being no major challenges.  Once you said what you did, I took your advice on board.  I shut off all worries, I went to sleep and I woke up ready to tackle everything.  And so I have!  I haven't mentioned everything here because that would bore you all off to sleep but I did have a fair few worries.  Still do but now I am on top of things again.

So, ALBF, I hope you realise that you have done me a very good turnSmile [:)]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

mint wrote:
Apparently, what had happened was that one of the leads had become displaced, though he didn't know how that could taken place because he said they were a certain profondeur and that it wasn't possible for a lead to jump up
Is that some Frangalise way of saying that one lead was on the wrong plug (= wrong firing order) which BTW can't happen anyway because you can't have just one wrong, it would have to be a pair at least.

If so then with two leads swapped most engines will barely start and then fart, bang, and backfire if they do and you certainly won't be driving a car anywhere like that !

I'm assuming it's not a V8, with that you might be able to drive it but it would still run like a pig and you'd be turning straight back to the garage within yards.

Sound like bullsh1tting rank amateurs to me, are they going to refund you for all the unnecessary work they did previously ?

Report   Reply Quote

Sounds like one HT lead not pushed fully home on the plug, at best the contact just resting on the plug but probably with a small gap, half the HT current was lost jumping that gap leaving only enough spark for light throttle combustion, try to accelerate and/or go up a hill and it misfires.

Par for the course when you have to rely on garagistes, when I make (and learn from) the same mistake the only casualty is my pride.

Report   Reply Quote

Seems to be as you have explained, Chancer.

Erns, I don't know enough to start giving him a thick ear and I might have to go back for something else.  BTW, have yet to find a garage that will do a proper service UK-style;  Nobody even tightens your hand brakeCry Out [:'(]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

When you feel stronger read my latest pm...It might be appropriate.Sad [:(]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine