French Language

Topic has 65 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: I would have had to...........

NO, NO, No, No....you are all wrong....even Chancer lol.

Who says in France 'I would have had to ' ?

I asked my 7 year old to translate a series of phrases starting with ''I would have had to' and...well the translation depends on the given sentence. Nothing to do with the translations given here.

So, there you go.

I have to admit, that is what I thought originally when I read this thread.

Yours sincerely
French forum god

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you, one and all.  It's pure laziness on my part that I am not sure of these tenses.  BUT, I promise that I am going to be getting down to them!!!

Meanwhile, I can now compose my message with bravado if not real knowledge............Idea [I]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Just written my message and feel really buoyed up by being able to use the phrases that you have given meBig Smile [:D]

Nice not to write like an illiterate and even nicer to feel confident about what I have written.

Thanks again.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

ALBF - I suspect that if you asked an English 7 year old to translate j'aurais dû, he wouldn't come up with I should have either."I oughta of", very likely ;-)
   Report   Reply Quote

@ ET

I did it the other way around...English to French.

ooohh I might add.....their first language is French. I will ask the other one when they get back....for a laugh.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I would have had to work more hours
Il aurait fallu que je fasse plus d'heures

I think that there is also the more literary
il eût fallu, but that is a step too far.

I doubt that a 7 year old whose first language is French would be able to understand the English "I would have had to".

People think that native French speakers are always right.
What they say may well be perfect French, but it is only a correct translation if they also understand the English original.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

"People think that native French speakers are always right."
Not when you get emails and textos from them on a daily basis, you don't.
It's gobsmacking how many people you would think would know better, regularly write "tu a", "je fait", "je vais regardé" etc. But what's interesting is that they make different mistakes from the ones I make. They rarely seem to forget agreements (which I do) or use subjunctives wrongly (which I do) or miss accents off (which I do), and if you read aloud what they've written, it always sounds right, they only seem to get the inaudible bits wrong.
   Report   Reply Quote

Norman said......

'I doubt that a 7 year old whose first language is French would be able to understand the English "I would have had to".

You would be surprised Norman.

Like I said, translating 'I would have had to' out of context is I think a pointless exercise.

Might be wrong...!!!

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine