Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 68 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: The Brits are back....to the Dordogne !!!!

Think of it as a ghetto if you want to, Chance, but you of all people will know that I do not live in a comfort zone.  I like adventure and pushing out the boundaries.

I was answering the specific question about why so many, not all, choose to live amongst high concentrations of their compatriots and made the comparison with areas that others, not myself, call ghettos.

The only place that I feel relaxed and at home around where I live is in an immigrant ghetto, Amiens Nord, I went there Sunday morning and its been at least 6 months since I was last able to, but I am not an Arab or Muslim, I feel at home because there, all of us of many varied nationalities are immigrants, I am not treated as an outsider.

I wasn't in the Dordogne either,  I can see the attraction.

Report   Reply Quote

I don't know that many people who have gone back because they're broke. There has always been a strong association between the English and Aquitaine. All the bastitde towns were originally built to keep out the marauding English. Eleanor of Aquitaine married the English king to bring peace to the region and it was the English who originally planted the vines in Bordeaux. What you are seeing now is what Theresa May said would happen but in reverse. Everyone rushing to get out before the ship sinks. The association where I learn French has been inundated with new members, so perhaps the new generation of immigrants are different and want to integrate?
   Report   Reply Quote

What sinking ship Lindal, nobody knows how it will all pan out. And if we are worse off then I will live with that if I can. As our income for the most part is from France, we may end up moving back, as we have to have that. It won't be abandoning anything though, just making sure that we can eat and heat. IF all our income was british, then no matter, we would stay, the climate here suits me.

And if you think I am blinkered to this, then it feels like you are more than equally blinkered to all the bad from the EU and federalisation and worse still expansion over the past years.

Report   Reply Quote

Richard51, if I were to move back to the UK, the Peak district would be one of my hotspots for househunting.

What would attract me would be the walkingBig Smile [:D]

I'd never understand "weather"!  We lived not an hour from here but nearer the coast and whilst the winters were just as cold, the summers were nowhere near as hot.  In fact, the summers were very disappointing, often rainy and very cool.

Where I am, it could, and often does, rain for days on end but then we'd have a dry spell of sometimes weeks to the dismay of farmers.

All I can say is, thousands of British and other Europeans who have moved here must all be wrong in their choice if the Dordogne is so terrible?[;-). 

There is always some snootiness attached to popular areas in any country and the sneering ones are often the very ones who don't live there and know next to nothing about those places.  For example, if I were to move to Italy, it would be Tuscany and, if to Spain, it would be the Costa Brava.  No doubt more will come on now to pour scorn on my choices.

Report   Reply Quote

I have been to the Dordogne and it has grass, trees, a large river and stoney houses. Very much like the rest of France.

It is very nice but not outstanding. That is what I don't get. It has a distraportionate attraction.Chancer is right, it is all about the comfort factor. But these people are wrong in moving to the Dordogne just because everyone else does. That is not a reason to move. It will end in tears. The only thriving businesses in the Dordogne is estate agents and notaries. I bet Notaries even have a sweep stake on how long people will last before selling up again. The Gites get odds of 1. Lol.

The French moving to the UK don't all want to live in Sussex.

Anyway, the Dordogne is a cliche in France as well as the UK. British behaviour when moving abroad is quite bizarre.

Judging by the number UK reg cars stuck on the motorway in Tours today heading south you be glad to know they are all on their way.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

People don't just move to the Dogdogne, ALBF; if you were to draw up a map of where expats purchase places you would probably find them in most regions, except perhaps the North East, though I am told there are quite a lot of Dutch folk there.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

I just love the mountains, the peaky ones the best.......so there are few places that stir me as much as seeing them. But of the few places, then the first is the Cote Granit Rose in Brittany, and I love the sea as much as I love the mountains.

The next area is in Belgium between Liege and Bastogne, I think that that area is truly beautiful.

I see programs on tv and the people say look at that view and seem enchanted with it, and my thoughts are often mixed between, well pleasant enough, to very ordinary, to awful.

I have seen the Dordogne on tv and it looks very pleasant, I am not sure if we have driven through it or not, as we would have been heading for the west coast........... living in the mountains means that I had to have a good dose of proper sea from time to time......... which was not that pond to the south!

I could never move to the Dordogne, no mountains and no sea... wouldn't do for me at all. And one of the reasons I would never move anywhere where there are other brits is because I think that I could end up being expected to sort things out for people or translate.  I made sure that we lived in a village where we were the only brits and I would do that again. And frankly making friends for me does not depend on what nationality someone is, just if I take to them and ofcourse them to me.

Report   Reply Quote

Idun, the Dordogne is nice but IMHO Wiltshire or Dorset are nicer. It is the same type of landscape but without pubs. I can understand why some 'francophile' people like Mint would want to move there but lets be clear many move there through trend rather than a committed reason. You have to be completely French mad to survive. ...and like tourists....Which I don't. So three days was enough.

I am like you, if I wanted lifestyle change I would head for the mountains. Skiing and walking. Bliss. Ho hum, it ain't going to happen.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine