Earning a Living

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Mint.....Do you like Fish & Ships ?

I used to make our fish and chips, amazingly Carrefour often sold beautiful cod in spite of us being in the Alpes.

I would make them for the few english friends we had in France, but mainly for french friends, who all loved them. What they found the most fascinating was that I would put buttered bread on the table....... which opened a whole discussion about butter on bread.

Neighbours from Lille, often butter their bread, other french friends only buttered at breakfast time.......HOWEVER, they all found that me having buttered their bread was unusual, as they all believed it to be an 'intimate' act to butter bread for someone else.

Incidentally, we know quite a few french people who vinegar their chips, and they had never left France, never mind visited the UK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had friends who lived a long way from us, about 90kms, and we had to go through a few small towns once away from the autoroute. In one, in the distance, there was a neon sign above a shop and from a distance, looked like the sign you would have outside an old fashioned fish and chip shop.... also the light was spilling onto the pavement...... and we were convinced that it must be a fish and chip shop....... only when we got level with it, it was a quinquillerie........ talk about disappointment, we really were disappointed.

Report   Reply Quote

No, never vinegar but tomato ketchup......yes, lovely and sweet and sticky and salty.

Never have tomato ketchup now because the only occasion when I would have it was with fish n chips.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

cajal wrote:
 Jonzjob wrote:
There is a very popular F&C van just south of us and a large part of the customers seem to be French. It's been going for several years now, but I can't find it and wonder if they are atill there?

This would appear to be in your 'neck' of the woods.

See Garden Girl's link, they are one and the same.. They have a round and about once a month they appear at Periac Minervois (I think) and you email them with your order and time and it's all fresh and ready for you from what I have been told. They will also appear at yer party if you wish and very good luck to them..

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

In my area bread is only eaten buttered when its the cheese course, you know the one before the dessert!

And whilst many would eat the cheese without bread nobody would eat it with bread but without butter.

If they were offered butter to go with their bread during the main course they would look at you as if (once again) you are from another planet. Never have worked out what its all about.

In a restaurant you will be offered butter with the choice of cheeses from the trolley, if you ask for butter for your bread during the main course its alien life form time again.

Report   Reply Quote

Jonzjob wrote:

"See Garden Girl's link, they are one and the same.."

A caravan it ain't. I think you will find This is a static restaurant, all be it in a basement,  ChezGil @ 32 Route Minervoise, 11000 Carcassonne, France.

From TripAdvisor:

'An intimate fish and seafood restaurant tucked away in the basement close to the railway station but off the beaten track. The most delightful fresh fish and seafood cooked by the chef within view of the restaurant. Reasonable prices an absolute delight'

A friend in need's a pest. Get rid.
   Report   Reply Quote

Buttered bread must be a NE France thing then, know people from all over the rest of France, and apart from petit dej, always have their bread dry.

Fish and chips, I have a wonderful batter recipe for the fish, so well worth making at home if I can get good fish. And I make mushy peas with pois casse, in fact for all I can get dried peas, now prefer making my mushy peas made with pois casse.

Sometimes have ketchup, but rarely, in fact these days only when I make my own burgers, I always put a little on. Which reminds me, about time I make some more, ages since we have had any.

Report   Reply Quote

cajal wrote:
 Jonzjob wrote:

"See Garden Girl's link, they are one and the same.."

A caravan it ain't. I think you will find This is a static restaurant, all be it in a basement,  ChezGil @ 32 Route Minervoise, 11000 Carcassonne, France.

From TripAdvisor:

'An intimate fish and seafood restaurant tucked away in the basement close to the railway station but off the beaten track. The most delightful fresh fish and seafood cooked by the chef within view of the restaurant. Reasonable prices an absolute delight'

Cajal, we know Chez Gil well and it is owned by the nephew of a friend and neighbour of ours. We have had numerous lunches there with the village Association de Ancient Combattents, of which I am a member, and the village 3rd age club, of which we are both members and the food and service are both excelent. We have also eaten there of our own choice. They have a well deserved reputation.

But the mobile F&C waggon that GG is on about is definately British owned and very mobile. This is a quote from the 1st para of their "About us' web page

"
About us
CC Fish & Chips (Chris & Clare) are serving traditional fish & chips in the Languedoc region. Our regular venues cover an area roughly from Quillan to Olonzac to Mirepoix although we do venture further afield."

Have a look at the site, and read it...

http://www.ccfishandchips.com/About-Us.html

Edit : -  On your trip advisor site it mentions that you can watch the food being prepared. This
is the kitchen and the bossman facing and his partner in the white blouse. I took the photo at one of the 3rd age lunches.

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

CC Fish & Chips (Chris & Clare) are serving traditional fish & chips in the Languedoc region. Our regular venues cover an area roughly from Quillan to Olonzac to Mirepoix although we do venture further afield."

Have a look at the site, and read it...

http://www.ccfishandchips.com/About-Us.html

Is one I have tried. The quality of the fish is excellent, the portions are large, and it is cooked to order so doesn't hang about.

For some peculiar reason they offer curry sauce which in my day was unheard-of with fish and chips.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine