French Food and Wine

Topic has 13 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: RECIPES.......... no wonder some people do not like cooking

I often do a search on Google France in French for recipes. Semoule moyenne recette brings up endless recipes.

Me I use it in cakes, i put a little in my pizza dough as it makes it crunchier. But mainly that word usage is simply what the 'english' call cous cous, and that is a pet hate of mine, as as far as I am concerned, it is the semolina that is part of a cous cous dish. And we enjoy a cous cous from time to time, and the good thing about it is that it can be rich and tasty or quite 'hot' itself and then there is the harissa sauce which is pokey and served separately.

Not keen on merguez myself, but my family love them with it. Also a great vegetarian dish.

The other thing is that i make taboule, i really do not like it with other things like bulgare etc, semoule moyenne is just lovely.

Lots of uses for it, and​ I have never heard of dumplings made with it, i would have to look at a few recipes before going down that route.
   Report   Reply Quote

I got the recipe for the dumplings off Google - they had an Arab name. But they were very solid, though the taste was ok. Herby.
These look good, but not what I meant:
http://www.lesfoodies.com/chamsaya/recette/mini-harcha-ou-galette-semoule-marocaine

Report   Reply Quote

My Maracaine lady friend who has sadly moved on to a more enlightened and welcoming area made the best crêpes that I have ever tasted (other than hers I hated crêpés)  they were made from kneaded dough and more like chapattis, what made them superb was the semoule sprinkled on them, a great taste and texture.
   Report   Reply Quote

But, Patf, you have two bags to use, so why not some light fluffy semoule with a couscous, I actually use my fingers to keep the grains apart as they steam. otherwise they can stick and be heavy............. or some lovely lovely taboule.

I could certainly use it easily. There would also be three lovely gateaux of various sorts too.

Report   Reply Quote

I just realised today that it's the same stuff used to make sweet semolina puddings etc in fact that was probably what the french lady in the shop was telling me "boil it in milk" etc. No wonder she was surprised when I said "nice with tomato sauce".

Report   Reply Quote

I have never used so much semoule as I have since you mentioned it! Onto my third packet now and am using more this weekend.

Taboule, couscous, and various cakes, all delicious.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine