French Education

Topic has 88 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Should I correct a French teacher who teaches English ?

Probably depends on where one was educated - or not Big Smile [:D]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

When I saw this, first reaction was : don't bother, waste of time.

I have seen 'very well' at the end of marked work, like that is the same as 'tres bien'.

Report   Reply Quote

I am reminded of the French teacher, lying on the lower bunk on the ferry when the passenger above him threw up.

He complained loudly "The idiot shouted "Look out!" when he should have said "Look in!""

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Report   Reply Quote

There was this chap called Shakespeare wrote a piece about some lovers:

Paris. Poor soul, thy face is much abus'd with tears.

Juliet. The tears have got small victory by that,
    For it was bad enough before their spite.

Good enough for him.
   Report   Reply Quote

If you don't, be careful encouraging your child to. Our youngest pointed out an obivous mistake and got a very sharp reply in front of all the class.
   Report   Reply Quote

Buzzard wrote:
There was this chap called Shakespeare wrote a piece about some lovers: Paris. Poor soul, thy face is much abus'd with tears. Juliet. The tears have got small victory by that,     For it was bad enough before their spite. Good enough for him.

He only wrote those words to make them fit the rythm with which he was so firmly stuck.

Report   Reply Quote

Trouble is, if my girl writes/says 'got' in front of my mum she would get a sharp reply as well. The poor girl can't win.

I have come to the conclusion that the word 'got' is similar to tu/vous in French in the sense of how you would use it in a given situation.

I would not go up to someone who is older than me and say 'have you got the time' ?. I would say, 'do you have the time please' ? 'Got' is casual or colloquial.

So in that respect, I have to correct her.

Am I right ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

This is not a question of grammar; it is a question of psychology. You can teach your daughter what is best for an English speaker, but retain her good relationship with her teacher by not mentioning it.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine