French Language

Topic has 41 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: What is intermediary French ?

I would say that I am pre-advanced +/- one level.

I was at the caserne de gendarmerie recently and there were a load of braying Brits trying and failing to make themselves understood, I kept quiet, been there before and its a thankless task but the Commandant when he saw me waiting said to the officer "thats the guy you want, il est bilangue" which I wanted to refute but when I thought about it in termsof communication and as ALBF says, thats what matters, then I am indeed now bi-lingual.

I prefer bi-lingual to fluent, I was never even fluent in English and am a lot less so now.

Report   Reply Quote

On the other hand perhaps I should downgrade my English fluency to lower intermediate as I dont have a clue what the following is supposed to mean:

• Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices
  • Innit, nowotimean!

Report   Reply Quote

My French students understand the rules of English grammar far better than me, and I would guess my understanding of French grammar is better than many French people.
       Report   Reply Quote

Let's just say there are several posters on this Forum who don't meet that criterion. Devil [6]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
    - Bertrand Russell
       Report   Reply Quote

I'm nowhere on Norman's continuum, but french people do seem to understand me when I burble on.
    I have a theory that the pronunciation and intonation of english people from the NE  when speaking french is more recognisable to the french than other english accents.
    I think Chancer and idun come from the NE too.

Report   Reply Quote

<<I have a theory that the pronunciation and intonation of english people from the NE when speaking french is more recognisable to the french than other english accents. >>

I've been told that that is so, Pat. On a French course at the British Institute in Paris a long time ago, the main prof said that he had found that to be true over many years, as many vowel sounds are similar. I'm also from the NE; I'm told that my accent is good - but it's dfficult to know oneself how good or bad it is.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
    I think Chancer and idun come from the NE too.

Nope, darn sarf innit!

My father was born in the NE and came down as a teenager with the Salvation Army, he never ever had any trace whatsoever of his birth accent, in those days it was something to be ashamed of and hidden Sad [:(]

Report   Reply Quote

Norman said...

"Let's just say there are several posters on this Forum who don't meet that criterion"

Are you going to name and shame Norman ?

I think there is a lot more to communication that just learning grammar. Learning how to present yourself in different situations is probably just as important. How one behaves in the UK will not work in France and vice versa. Your perfect grammar and accent won't save you if you have already naffed them off.

Another point, watch a French youtube teenager type blogger type broadcast (or whatever they are called) which most kids watch these days in favour of television and then rate your level of French.
    ner ner nee ner ner!!
       Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
    Living France magazine
    French Property News magazine