French Food and Wine

Topic has 21 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: silicone bakeware

Yes silicone is a better insulator than metal and it will slow down the rate of heat transfer - but only slow down. Since the oven is set at a constant temperature (til you fiddle with the knob) everything will quite quickly reach the oven temperature - just a little bit slower with silicon.

This is the same point as with regards protecting pot plants from frost with bubble pack. A light overnight frost and a warmish day and they will work, but leave the plants out all winter and like as not they will die because the soil in the pot will eventually freeze.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

2 ideas/questions.

Mass effect, you said that you had the right size silicone tin, was it exactly the same size as the metal one used for the same recipé?

My silicone tins are very floppy, were you perhaps using yours inside a metal tin? If so the insulation would play havoc with the normal conduction of the metal tin, I dont bake but get similar problems using silicone tins for grilling or roasting in my halogen oven, I bought another one recently in AldiUK which was pretending to be a dry fryer but was just another halogen oven, it did however come with 2 mesh tins which are the right size to contain and keep rigid my silicone ones and I get great results using both together.

Report   Reply Quote

I made a delicious lemon curd bread pudding yesterday, rose like a souffle........ so nothing wrong with bread pudding.

Most of the time, I line cake tins with greased proof paper.

Good luck with your next cake, hate it when baking does not turn out and had some real disasters when I first moved to France until I got a really really good oven. Still the disasters are just part of the 'fun' of being somewhere new.

Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:

2 ideas/questions.

Mass effect, you said that you had the right size silicone tin, was it exactly the same size as the metal one used for the same recipé?

My silicone tins are very floppy, were you perhaps using yours inside a metal tin? If so the insulation would play havoc with the normal conduction of the metal tin, I dont bake but get similar problems using silicone tins for grilling or roasting in my halogen oven, I bought another one recently in AldiUK which was pretending to be a dry fryer but was just another halogen oven, it did however come with 2 mesh tins which are the right size to contain and keep rigid my silicone ones and I get great results using both together.

I don't think we have ever made this before and it was just the floppy silicone. Never mind, maybe we will try again...
The one thing my halogen cooker did exceptionally well was pork crackling, came out like pork scratchings Smile [:)] I can almost hear Chancer cringing.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Why? I still eat some meat although not red meat, nothing does roasts like a halogen oven!

Report   Reply Quote

TP, did you put the cake on a baking sheet to transfer to the oven?

I suppose you must have done because otherwise, the filled silicone mould would be too wobbly with liquid contents.

I put flan tins, etc on baking sheets and usually put the baking sheet into the oven during the warming up time so the baking sheets are already hot when I put the flan or cake tins on them.

I think it was RH who told me to do this when baking quiches.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, actually on the metal rack but everything was up to temperature before cake mix was put in.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Mint - your example of baking quiches.
Do you think that pastry bakes best in a metal tin, rather than in glass, pottery or silicone?
Pastry is still my weak point in baking.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine