French Food and Wine

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: one for Patf and other bakers of bread, please

I cannot use dried yeast so have no way of comparing it to fresh. OH is allergic to dried yeast and that is a long story in in itself.

For normal bread, too much yeast can make it hard, was told that there was not enough flour for the yeast to do whatever it does to flour and that is the reason.

Maybe with a machine, half a cube for two loaves?????

Trial and error really with these things, or look up ont t'internet how much fresh you need for two loaves in a machine...... should find it somewhere.

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks, id.  Will be making it tomorrow or Sunday as freezer is choc a bloc at the moment.

Edit:  found my answer.  My 42g cube should make 4 loaves of 500g.  For conversion of dried yeast to fresh, the formula is to multiply by 3.  I use 1 teaspoon dried which is 3.5g: so 3.5 x 3 = 10.5g fresh

Phew!  Sorted, thanks again

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

For bread flour, I still recommend (and use) Surfina 11,5/560 from Gamme Vert (or whatever it's called these days). Genuine strong white flour. Works for me without fail.

They have other mixes, if you're interested.

Cheers

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks, Ian, have made a note

Report   Reply Quote

Have been using the Francine mixed cereal flour for ages, which we like. However, there has been none on the shelves here for nearly a month, neither in 50 nor 44. Even the Leclerc own make is unavailable. Have I missed some supply issue or have they deemed it sells too well and so have stopped making it! The quote below is taken from the CDIscount site for a similar product.

Ce produit est victime de son succès. Retrouvez ci-dessous d’autres produits similaires.

Report   Reply Quote

I had no problem restocking with a 2.5kg bag before Xmas, but I had problems finding white bread flour - I use a mix.

It could be that the French have discovered home bread making and that being a baker is not a protected profession.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

No, have had no problem finding the Francine multi-céréal but, as Andy says, a bit of faffing around to find the white bread flour.

I too like to mix the flours and I particularly like putting in some oatmeal or even porridge oat flakes to the mix for a different taste and consistency.

But it does all go into the machine as I have never had success hand-making bread.

Report   Reply Quote

mint, truth is that not using a bread machine is not hard.

Time is the thing really as it takes ages.

I often start mine at bed time, put it in a cool place to rise over night and then continue with the next part, the following morning.

I too mix flours quite often, as OH likes wholemeal I do half and half, but the white I use is often, nay usually, cheap and cheerful. And when I make white bread, well, cheap and cheerful really does the trick, and I admit that the tasting test I did years ago, meant that the 'proper' flour had more taste.Truthfully,  the taste was only marginally ' better' with the 'proper' stuff. AND in this household, we actually do not eat dry bread, it is always with something else, dipping it, smothering it, layering it. So I doubt anyone could tell if cheap and cheerful flour was in the bread in a sandwich so why pay more.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine