The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: culture clash!

Didn't make the same mistake again for St Sylvestre.  I said come on Monday but, in the end, the weather was so awful with very strong winds, that I re-arranged for Tuesday.

Thanks to you and your advice, id, I do not bake awful mince pies either.  Everybody, French, German, Brits can't seem to get enough of my mince pies and I don't even make my own mince as you probably do.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

I used to make my sweet mince in France, because I could not get it any other way. Now I buy, although I am fussy about which I  buy, and some of the fancy ones are not as nice IMO, as the simpler basic recipe ones.

Report   Reply Quote

Alas, I have to stick to the vegetarian, no suet, versions as OH does not eat anything meaty.  But, TBH, I and no one else seem to taste any different.  However many I make, it all gets gobbled up accompanied with much lip-smacking!

Report   Reply Quote

I didn't use suet in France, as it was very difficult to get it, so I used a very cold slab of butter and grated it. It always worked.

Report   Reply Quote

I make Mary Berry's suet free mincemeat. It's really easy and nicer than any I've bought.
   Report   Reply Quote

That's the recipe used by the owner of the English café in the village where I have my flat, and I can confirm it makes delicious mincemeat.
She also makes mincemeat yum slices with oats etc. for other times of the year ..
YUM Big Smile [:D]

http://www.maryberry.co.uk/recipes/christmas/special-mincemeat

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I have another use for mincemeat.  I use it making muffins (American) and the whole kitchen smells Christmassy and my French friends adore muffins because it's about the only "English" cake they know, a bit like the only English pudding they know is le crumble!

Id, are you converted to muffins yet or do you still not like them?

Report   Reply Quote

Ah now you have brought something up mint.

American muffins in general are rather dry affairs and not a patch on old fashioned fairy cakes. I go to a cafe that actually sells half decent ones, and yet, I still find them dry and cut any I buy into thick slices and dip each slice into my hot chocolate or coffee and then they are fine.

And I started making american muffins and my husband likes them, so I make them for him, and I don't eat them.

Love proper english muffins though!

My french friends got to know lots of english stuff, scones, sticky toffee pudding, crumble before it was sold in France, and a variety of stuff I would make for them, including elephant's feet, instead of poncy little choux balls.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine