The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French High Street charity shops?

That's very different to the shop that's opened near us. They are heaving with decent quality stuff! https://www.facebook.com/ecocyclerierecyclavie/photos/pcb.1680761975278914/1680758968612548/?type=3&theater

Report   Reply Quote

The emmaus local to where my son lives is fussy, they will go to houses and take some things, but empty them they will not and have been taking this stance for several years and good for them.

Report   Reply Quote

Even in the UK, charity shops do not always work and many close, probably too many on High Streets.

No wonder there are so many empty shops.........what do you want with so many out of town shopping centres and the internet taking the business.

Report   Reply Quote

I reckon that charity shops are an essentially British concept, and there is no reason why one should expect to find them in France.
I confess  I am tired of people thinking that they are living in a suburb of the UK.

If one lived in a more obviously different country from the UK than  France is, somewhere rather more exotic such as Tibet would people be complaining about the fact that things are different?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Whether charity or otherwise, I can see why so many shops go bust and then stand empty in France.
My French friends are somewhat flabbergasted that I am able, twice a year, to take part in a popup shop in a large shopping centre near me. I've been doing it for about six years now. A collective of around 13 of us were offered the chance by the landlords' managing agents and this has continued even after a change of landlord. There are usually 2-3 popups on the go in the centre over Christmas, giving local makers and craftspeople a chance to sell their goods.
We pay the princely sum of £40 each for the duration of the shop (usually around six weeks) and there's a benefit to the landlord in terms of council tax breaks. Over the time we've been doing this, the £40 has more than covered the rental, electricity and all other overheads: packaging, stationery, shop sign, advertising flyers....and we've got a fair surplus in the kitty for contingencies.
Compare that to a friend of mine in our French village who wanted to try a similar thing in the run-up to Christmas. There's a shop unit in the village centre which has housed about 5 different and equally unsuccessful businesses over the years. It's currently empty, and my friend looked into renting it for a month to sell his handmade wooden items, and potentially to invite a few others to share space and costs. Our village has no through traffic and it's a bit off the beaten track to all but locals. They wanted €500 a month for the rent.

ETA: Clearly, the charity shops such as Emmaus which do exist in France have some attraction. Ours is vast, and on the days it's open (throughout the year) the car park is usually full to bursting. And never go on a rainy day in the summer...the queues stretch back out of the door!
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Two paragraphs describing France Betty. We all know what France is like. It won't change. And people want to move here ???

We have been going every year to Alpe du Huez skiing (and summer) for the last 20 years +++.

The game when you arrive each year is 'spot the new shop'. Every year there will be new shops. I have seen over the years every type of shop you can think of trying to earn a living.

Come April all the 'new' shops will be closed and will have gone out of business and next year their will be new shops occupying the same premises and the game starts again. 99.99999999 % never survive.

I would rather own the 'walls' than run a business in a ski resort. Or elsewhere I guess.

The only businesses that survive are the ones that own the 'walls'. Or the businesses that 'rent' out the walls. Running a business whilst renting will never work.

Go on le bon coin in the summer for shops to 'rent' in a Ski resort. You will be amazed.

Me, I am going to buy a shop in a ski resort and rent it out.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Norman said:

"I am tired of people thinking that they are living in a suburb of the UK"

What are you trying to say there Norman ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote
Stick out tongue [:P]

Ba humbug wrote:

I reckon that charity shops are an essentially British concept, and there is no reason why one should expect to find them in France.
I confess I am tired of people thinking that they are living in a suburb of the UK.

If one lived in a more obviously different country from the UK than France is, somewhere rather more exotic such as Tibet would people be complaining about the fact that things are different?

Nobody has said that they think they are living in a UK suburb. All that has been asked is why doesn't that system work in France. Some people, who aren't constantly trying to be "more French" than anybody else, or are having a constant grumpy attack, have offered comments and thoughts on the subject.
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine