The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 112 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French motorists are just thick as...

"the following driver ends up stopped, half a metre from my back bumper,"....
That's normally the distance between cars driving at 90km. I hate to look in my rear view mirror these days as the car behind is usually so close I can see the whites of their eyes!!! Have to say this is by in large young females! (dreadful drivers who rely far too heavily on their brakes and reflexes).

Report   Reply Quote

Given that when you do dare look they will be doing anything else but paying attention to what is in front of them then the safest place for all concerned is for them to be a close to your bumper as possible.

I reverse onto my driveway, it makes sense because visibility to drive out is limited, 100% of the vehicles on the road are speeding and also its the law although I am the only person to do so.

As I approach the vehicle behind will be on my bumper, we come into a zone 30kph 500m before my place so I slow from 50 to 30kph which further enrages them and they drive even closer, 150m from where I will stop to reverse I start indicating right, slow down even more and 50 metres before put on my hazard flashers, I stop just beyond my drive to reverse into it but of course cannot because I have a fuming Picard gesticulating wildly behind me, in the time that he lets off steam other vehicles will have pulled up equally close behind him so he cannot now reverse, many will then drive onto the pavement to pass and one I memorably T-boned by reversing my trailer into him Big Smile [:D]

Twice in 12 years the person behind has left a sensible distance, has seen the road is clear ahead and has overtaken me while i am braking without slowing down and without being inconvenienced, only twice in 12 years Sad [:(]

I feel like chasing them to give them a medal Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

I am still recovering from my near death experience.

I reluctantly told my other half what had happened and she said 'you should have crashed into the connaîs'. 'Make her pay' !!! She then carried on swearing in French for five minutes.

Ummm.....I was on a bike !!!!

France has a serious problem with their drivers and attitude. At the end of the day it is attitude.

A very old international lorry driver who has seen it all once told me, 'the French don't want to be behind you or in front of you. 'They want to be where you are'.

They are very wise words when you think about it..

I really don't how France is going to solve this one. I guess everyone will just have to accept the French hate other car drivers. Reduce the speed limit to 10 kph they will still make the roads unsafe for themselves.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Oh how I hate some french drivers - totally sympathise with ALBF, and glad you survived.  

I am so fed up with driving along with someone's front bumper up my exhaust.   On occasions, when I can see clear road ahead, I've slowed down, indicated and pulled into the side of the road to MAKE them pass - and sometimes even then they don't get the message but come to a halt behind me !!

The driving instruction needs to be changed - and brought up-to-date;  I feel they're still driving in the 1940's or 50's - no road sense whatsoever.

As for reducing the speed limits - oh give me strength.   White van man, utility workers etc all have to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible;  the difficulty with France is that it's such a large country, the distance3s between point A and point B can be quite substantial... so if the speed limit is reduced then it means fewer call-outs can be made by workers, utility repairs; white van man makes fewer deliveries - with quite a knock-on effect on wages.

We all know it's not the 'speed' per se that's the problem;  nor are the 'trees causing accidents' (!!) -
it's the total lack of driving ability, driving skill, driving sense, common-sense, ability to understand other drivers......... but NOT speed.

No-one in authority listens though, do they.    Reduce speed limit, impose fines - more euros for Macron and the enarqs to spend on what tickles their fancy.

Chessie

Report   Reply Quote

"On occasions, when I can see clear road ahead, I've slowed down, indicated and pulled into the side of the road to MAKE them pass - and sometimes even then they don't get the message but come to a halt behind me !!"

I totally agree - exactly the same situation every time I have to reverse into our driveway - following car - indicate right slow down- stop to get rid of the following car - driver's reaction is "Duh - the car has stopped what's going on?"
At any time the urge to sing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" is only a whim away.
   Report   Reply Quote

This is something which aggravates me every time I go out, (in our beat-up van) even though the quiet straight roads here make overtaking easy and safe . Sometimes I look out for a place on the right to pull in and let them pass.
It's a similar mental attitude to that in supermarkets, when they abandon their trolleys so as to block passage, and stand there talking to themselves, consulting their oracle (shopping list).
They seem to be in another world where no-one else exists.

Report   Reply Quote

Awho are these they that so many people refer to?
   Report   Reply Quote

Brit wrote....

"Awho are these they that so many people refer to"?

Starter for 10.

WTF does Brit mean ?

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine