The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 12 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Powers of the Maire

Another point that might or might not be relevant here is that some decisions are taken by the conseil municipal after discussion, which might in practice come down to the same thing as the mayor making the decision but technically it means he can't be held personally responsible for a collective decision.
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm not sure that it's correct that the people in the commune vote for the Maire. I thought it was the 'village council' who choose one of theirs. And they're volunteers, rather than elected representatives. Maybe that's just in the small communes like ours.
Talking to a few locals, it was difficult to find someone to be Maire last time. A complicated thankless job, rules and laws constantly changing.

Report   Reply Quote

Our commune is only around 260 souls but every one of the council representatives is elected.
Maybe your council has fewer candidates than places available.
But yes the maire is selected by the councillors - in our case nominally since they chose the person with the highest number of votes in the election.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Our commune has only about 90 habitants now.
I expect it will be combined with others nearby soon.

Report   Reply Quote

http://www.vie-publique.fr/actualite/dossier/municipales-2008/competences-obligations-maires.html
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine