Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 16 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Information regarding Sarlat-la-Caneda

Thank you for the replies so far - definitely makes interesting reading.
No, Thonon is correct - next town along Lac Leman towards Geneva.
One thing is for certain..... prices are half what they are around here!!
Thank you Switzerland for offering such HUGE salaries and low tax.

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

Ok I read it the wrong way round
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Only visited ever as a tourist, but would agree with much that has been said.  Have been in 47 in the winter, usually damp, but Sarlat is slightly more continental, so would expect slightly cooler / colder / drier winters, than slightly more the to the west which is under the atlantic influence, but not for so long, and less that on the Swiss borders, even given the influence of Lac Leman.  Can be warm to very hot in summer, damp and cool in winter (done both).  But given the variablity of the climate these days, and this year certainly being an exception, who can say for the future.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

The problem round Lake Lemon is a nasty wind called the bise, isn’t it?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

We have a house 25 min South west of Sarlat. To try to answer some of your questions. The temperatures that we have had are a low of -17 about 5 years ago. Highs of over 40. Mostly the temperature between June and September is in the 20 to early 30s . The good days seem to end about mid November starting again late Feb (this week it touched 15 on one day) the rain has been covered by other posters. How many UK people? 1 Welsh couple (who are leaving) 1 Irish couple who i have never met, a Scottish couple and 2 english couples. If you need to meet British people the best place to go is the golf club. I think there is also an expat group in Le Bugue.
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
The problem round Lake Lemon is a nasty wind called the bise, isn’t it?

Absolutely correct! Perishing cold and has been for the last two days whilst the Bise worked its magic. Brings down the wind-chill factor by another 5 degrees I would say. But the area is absolutely stunningly beautiful so we are wavering. Spoilt for choice I would say [before anyone else does]!

Sheila
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote : http://www.linternaute.com/ville/sarlat-la-caneda/ville-24520

As you say Norman the unemployment rate (at 19.2%) was almost double the already-high national rate of 10.8% in 2014 - which is quite dreadful. So the area is poorer in general than would be thought on first viewing.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Not sure how important a metric the unemployment rate is for OP or people not looking for a job- especially in a touristy and rural area.

Lifestyle in rural areas for locals with poor qualifications (or perhaps very high qualifications without a job) will indeed be low, but that could mean that for those who had high previous income elsewhere it is cheaper to live.

For those seeking employment, then yes, it's definitely a problem and would make the area a non-starter.

Other threads also illustrate how difficult it is to make a living if relying on gites or other tourist pursuits - its very competitive and such a short season to make the money.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine