The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 34 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French rail strikes

What I think will happen, Andy, as has been happening all over the place, is that the regions will take over the cost of upgrading and running the things, rhen, to get b ums on seats they will offer cheap travel concessions to people going to work, kids etc.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thus far, there has been a call for an indefinite, general rail strike from 22 March, but some want to start earlier.
This may well be the definitive struggle of Macron’s reign; if he loses, France is unreformable.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Agreed. And sad if that happens.

Hope UK can reform in the other direction though and not fall into the right wing everybody for themselves, money is all ( a la american) system.

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Woolyb wrote:
What I think will happen, Andy, as has been happening all over the place, is that the regions will take over the cost of upgrading and running the things, rhen, to get b ums on seats they will offer cheap travel concessions to people going to work, kids etc.

Exactly - and the big problem then is what happens to lines that cross from one region to another? Answer, the regions cannot agree on who pays what and what subventions will exist. No maintenance gets done and the line closes.

Problems on the trans- Massif Central lines, lines in the Jura and quite probably elsewhere.

Unusually for France, there is a complete lack of central overview and control. Result chaos.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

10 years ago (OK, I know!) I used or come visit before I came to stay completely and could travel from Lille to  Narbonne sans changer ... now I have to change at Montpellier (horrible station) why?????  Poor management and poor understanding of what the travelling public want.  And nearly always they want me to go via Paris. Pourquoi,. C'est idio, when you can go to Lille Europe and only need to change platforms!!!!

No wonder people fly or drive!! 

But I hope they sort it by June, I plan to travel by train to London!!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

I think you can get a train from Narbonne to Avignon, then get the Eurostar direct to London, but I haven't checked that.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, you can go by train from Narbonne to Avignon town station, then the short shuttle train to Avignon TGV station and the direct Eurostar to St Pancras. Unfortunately it no longer runs all year round as it had become our favourite way to go to and fro.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

No the Eurostars from Avignon and I think Lyon do not run all year round, or only (possibly for Lyon) one day a week ...

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine