French Food and Wine

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Brisket

We have taken to pot roasting or braising most of the beef we buy in France. I buy what I think is probably brisket by the look of it, but we buy most of our beef and lamb in Spain.

On the odd occasion we, once again, try frying or grilling a promising-looking French steak (we never learn), but our plastic teeth are just not up to the job.

Maybe the originals would have done better, but it's too late nowSad [:(]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

We know it as 'potrine de boeuf' in these ere parts. In fact our local butcher will also roll it and tie it for roasting, it may help that she is English!!!!!!
   Report   Reply Quote

For the last couple of years I've bought a huge chunk of brisket from my local butcher, who can probably tell you the names of all the cows from which his meat comes, told him what I want it for, and he trims and rolls it beautifully with a minimal amount of fat. I then stick it in the garage in a bucket of brine with various herbs and spices and some saltpetre where it stays for a couple of weeks, then make half into salt beef and half into pastrami.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, those who suggest some form of “poitrine” are correct. The actual closest cut in France (and it’s very close) is called basse côte and you can get a roast the size of your liking prepared and tied up by your butcher.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine