The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: And the Bombs are falling

Nuclear bombing of Japan was not necessary. The myth is that it reduced the length of the war. I'm afraid that arguement could be made by Assad - the rebel terrorists soon departed.

The Japan bombing did wonders for the science of radiobiology - studying the terrible effects on those that survived for years after. Only good thing is that I got a couple of papers out of the data that came from those that survived but suffered.

Do you really think that the UK has any sway in the world nowadays?

Trumps gung-ho approach is a recipe for apocaliptic disaster - just what the idiot evangelical christians (in US) want!!!

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

UK has little sway but that does not mean it has to crawl away and hide in a hole forever.

Trump could be bung do, of course, but there was no other option with the Russians up to their old tricks.

Of course the bomb was a means of stopping the war, of stopping the horrible loss of life of our young men and of their men and civilians in the firebomb raids. A hideous evil but necessary.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

So was Assad right?

My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Eh, i was talking about using the bomb on Japan.

As regards Assad, no, he is a.......... well, words do not describe him or others like him. Perhaps he too will end up like Gaddaphi or Mussolini of Hitler. But somehow I doubt it with the Russians backing and protecting him.

But then the wonders of Europe allow political prisoners in Spain nowadays. Democracy is a fragile flower to be cherished.
   Report   Reply Quote

ebaynut wrote:
So what would you think is the right response then Mint. A, Do nothing, let the Syrian government use chemical weapons on the people of that country and get the war over and done with. B, Let everyone from Syria into Europe as 'refugees' C, Do what Obama did, say you are going to do something, like in 2013, and then look the other way and back track D, Post on forums how everyone else in government is wrong, and your view is correct? Who do you think has the bigger picture, someone in government or someone in front of a PC screen?

Where did I say I favour one response over another?  Fortunately for me, I am far enough away from any position of authority and government that I do not need to understand the problem or make critical decisions.

As it is, I cannot say whether the attack was appropriate, not knowing enough of what's been going on and not having made any in-depth study of it.

All I said, and it maybe cynical, was that Trump has his hands full with Stormy Daniels, Comey's new book and trade tariffs, Macron has his strikes and May has Brexit and public services (NHS, schools, housing, etc) so that it was convenient for them to adopt distracting measures.

You can't argue that this Syria attack is dominating all headlines today so aren't I right in saying that for those three, this is easier to do and make better headlines than sorting out domestic problems?

As an after thought, wouldn't bombing chemical plants actually spread those chemicals if they are present?  Any chemists out there who can explain this to me?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Interesting to note that Merkel has specifically said that Germany will not be involved in any military action.

Derek

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”
   Report   Reply Quote

May be they should have waited for definitive proof they were chemical weapons, which seems far from clear from some witness reports.
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

The proof is most probably there but the details are not for our eyes as the security issues might be too sensitive. Quite right.

RH, where you been hiding?
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine