Earning a Living

Topic has 13 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Earning a living?

To repeat Andy - my reading of it is that the net profit excludes monies already paid for the necessary work on/for the farm. This may or may not be the owners.

If the total investment is £2 million then a net profit of £100,000 would give a nice yield of 5%.

BTW accommodation is thrown in and agricultural property relief means that there is no inheritance tax to pay for farmers or landowners.

What other industry gets such massive subsidies?
   Report   Reply Quote

In that case I suggest you read your own links:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/667253/fbs-farmaccountsengland-14dec17.pdf

"For non-corporate businesses, Farm Business Income represents the financial return to all unpaid labour on the farm (farmers and spouses, non-principal partners and their spouses and family workers) and on all their capital invested in the farm business, including land and buildings."

The key there is "unpaid labour" = them as does the bloody work.

Subsidies to industry? You will find them all over the place. How do you think a nuclear power station gets built or run, or a wind farm? Airbus? National rail networks? The entire road system throughout Europe - excepting a few thousand toll kilometres? Every construction project backed by (delete as appropriate) local government/regional government/national government/the EU.

Even our village fete receives subsidies.

You really do live in a sheltered anti-EUtopian environment.

For goodness sake please put your chips away - they are not good for you.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Repeated for those who struggle with the rubbish forum formatting.

"For non-corporate businesses, Farm Business Income represents the financial return to all unpaid labour on the farm (farmers and spouses, non-principal partners and their spouses and family workers) and on all their capital invested in the farm business, including land and buildings."

The key there is "unpaid labour" = them as does the bloody work.

Subsidies to industry? You will find them all over the place. How do you think a nuclear power station gets built or run, or a wind farm? Airbus? National rail networks? The entire road system throughout Europe - excepting a few thousand toll kilometres? Every construction project backed by (delete as appropriate) local government/regional government/national government/the EU.

Even our village fete receives subsidies.

You really do live in a sheltered anti-EUtopian environment.

For goodness sake please put your chips away - they are not good for you.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Try Appendix 1 in the farm accounts reference which talks about Standard labour requirement for the survey in para 3.

My interpretation of what you quote is that its the net profit after labour (including farmer etc) has been paid. I assume a farmer will take a salary for some if not all of his work. Why treat corporate and non corporate differently in the survey.

Perhaps a referee with knowledge of this area may help to clarify.

As I said in the OP, I am very anti-Brexit but CAP is just crazy.

In terms of subsidies in the UK I'm afraid that nowadays public services are increasingly becoming privatised and supposed to make a profit rather than be subsidised. France not so atm.

Report   Reply Quote

appendix 1 para 3 has nothing to do with wages. It is to do with a theoretical calculation of the level of labour employment on farms. Wages, profit, turnover etc are not mentioned in this section.

I refer you again to my quote which is in the main body of the document above the first table page 2 (Background).
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Bump

For some reason my post from last night is not showing on the list of new posts.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine