Driving in France

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Mobile home park address ok to register vehicle?

The 90 days is how long Australians (and some others) can be in a Schengen group country in any 180 day period without needing a visa. Longer than that (up to a year) a Long Stay Visa is needed, but my understanding is it's not difficult. Longer than one year requires a residency permit.

You'd have to presume those visa's would be subject to being able to support yourself - all the usual stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area
   Report   Reply Quote

Back on the subject of buying a van in the UK, very many Australian visitors used to do this, and possibly still do so, creating an active market for camper vans.

This has got to be cheaper than renting privately, without the possible problems of arguing about who is responsible/pays for breakdowns or accidental damage not covered by insurance (like backing into a tree on a camp site), and getting a van which has been rented out, heavily used, and not properly maintained.

There was even a street near the High Commission in London where Australians used to buy and sell their vans. They possibly still do so, there must be some forums/blogs/whatever where these things are discussed.

Your idea of buying a car and using AirB&B may seem to be about the same cost or even cheaper than renting a van, but might not be when the cost of eating is considered. We find that when travelling in our camper van we spend less by preparing some meals in the van, instead of using restaurants. In any case, at our age, we find restaurant meals are usually far too large.

The other advantages, of course, are not being tied down to advance bookings, being free to stay anywhere without planning, and not having to keep getting on line to find accommodation and make reservations.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I kinda did that in 1989 - well on a Vespa. Did London to Barcelona and back camping all the way. Very nice holiday.

I have a feeling I read somewhere that London street market for vans had been shut down somehow, but no doubt the internet has taken over anyway. A UK reg LHD van is probably the easiest way to do it.

How long a trip do you find you can stand before you go stir crazy?
   Report   Reply Quote

Just putting this out there, but I think that, if you are going to register a vehicle in France it needs to be registered to a permanent address. The problem with mobile home sites and the homes themselves is that, by law, you can't live there for 12 months of the year, so they can't be considered as a permanent address. Some mobile sites won't let you have mail addressed there, so you'd need a PO box.
It's entirely possible that none of this is a problem at all, but you need to investigate.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

If that's correct, it rules it out as an option.
   Report   Reply Quote

Ok, I think a mobile home address is ok if it's a year round site (so it is your permanent address), but for me the sticking point is I would not be a permanent resident in France.

My next idea was a friend that is resident. I thought I could buy the car and she could own it and use it when I'm not there. Problem is she doesn't have a licence! ***.

What do gypys/Romany people do? Maybe I could find my ancient gypsy dna?
   Report   Reply Quote

If you are SDF in France (without a permanent address) you are still likely to be attached to a particular area (commune de rattachement) and there are organisations who will assist you in obtaining things like vehicle registration documents etc. Usually this will mean using the local Mairie or the address of the assisting organisation for the documents. Since you ask, this is the procedure for "gens du voyage".
You still haven't found a solution though. Even the homeless or those without a permanent address in France are still permanent residents of the country. Which is the key aspect that doesn't apply to you.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Interesting. As far as I know, there's no Romany (I have no idea of the correct terminology, but I think gypsy is not ok) communities in Australia, well, not as recognised as in Europe anyway. The closest we get are hoards of 'grey nomads' - cashed up retirees that sell their house (sometimes), buy a camper or motorhome and spend ages tootling around Australia frittering away their kids inheritance.

The only solution I've come up with so far is a Societe Civile company, but that requires a minimum of 2 people.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine