Driving in France

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Winter Tyres !!!

alittlebitfrench wrote:
I drove home on it for 5 Kms and it was definitely flat.
Only on the bottom Big Smile [:D]

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

What spare wheel ? LOL.

Modern cars don't have spare wheels anymore.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Some modern cars do have spares and I know people who have bought new cars and made sure that they have a spare, rather than a 'bombe' which is as much use as a chocolate fire guard when there is a shredded tyreWhistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote
Woot! [:-))]

idun wrote:
Some modern cars do have spares and I know people who have bought new cars and made sure that they have a spare, rather than a 'bombe' which is as much use as a chocolate fire guard when there is a shredded tyreWhistles [Www]

But if you are smart you can save a few euros on the new price if you don't have a spare, if you are happy to drive home on a flat tyre and shred itWoot! [:-))]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Big Smile [:D]
   Report   Reply Quote

nomoss wrote:

But if you are smart you can save a few euros on the new price if you don't have a spare, if you are happy to drive home on a flat tyre and shred itWoot! [:-))]

And replace it with 2 new tyres! And then let them convince you that 2 more are needed. And then when you say yes get stitched up with winter tyres so you need to buy another 4 in spring and then thereafter go back twice a year to have them swopped over at which time they can sell you another pair each time..................

Or you could look up from your smartphone and see and avoid the hazards before driving over them.

Says the guy who wrecked a brand new tyre 2 weeks ago clipping a 2 row parpaing wall Cry Out [:'(] But I only paid for one replacement tyre Stick out tongue [:P]

Report   Reply Quote

ALBF does not have a smartphone.

He has 20 Euro Nokia. So he was certainly not looking at that. OR.... his GPS because he does not have one of those either. I don't even listen to the radio. Because that is in blôody French. LOL.

If the front right is shredded and the other is long past its sell by date they both need to be replaced.

If the back has a bulge (or f**** in mechanical terms) and needs to be replaced then that just leaves one good tyre.

Surely, you would replace them all with the same make.

What am I missing here ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

alittlebitfrench wrote:
ALBF does not have a smartphone. He has 20 Euro Nokia. So he was certainly not looking at that. OR.... his GPS because he does not have one of those either. I don't even listen to the radio. Because that is in blôody French. LOL. If the front right is shredded and the other is long past its sell by date they both need to be replaced. If the back has a bulge (or f**** in mechanical terms) and needs to be replaced then that just leaves one good tyre. Surely, you would replace them all with the same make. What am I missing here ?

I think what you are missing is that most people here didn't realise you were driving around with tyres "long past their sell by date", as with two damaged tyres, in normal conditions, one would put the two remaining tyres/wheels on the front and put two new tyres on the rear wheels. (On the basis that most authorities recommend putting the newer set on the rear, as rear grip is more important than front grip).

The fact seems to be that your tyre shop seems to have convinced you that you should have identical tyres on each axle, without considered putting the two good ones together, and on top of that has conned you into buying winter tyres.

It's referred to in the trade (or in mechanical terms if you prefer) as "Bullsh*t baffles brains"

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine