French Language

Topic has 54 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: How are your efforts to "learn more French" working out?

You do know why tanks are called tanks, don’t you?
   Report   Reply Quote

I wish I had written down a couple of words I heard on french TV last week.

I could not work them out even though I knew the context.

I knew your 'words' though. So for all I am losing some of my french, I haven't lost too much.... apparently!
   Report   Reply Quote

An interesting subject.

I got to know ras/raz le bol (I’ve seen both spellings) a few years ago when a French friend was clearing out their large shop cellar, filling her car with masses of rubbish from years ago and making several trips to the tip.

After 2 apartments were broken into in our apartment block, it was found that there was a weak point in the door handles, which meant that front doors could be broken into quickly and easily.

I arranged for a locksmith to change handles for a large group of residents at an ‘interesting’ price and llearned about a poignée blindée - with the mechanism protected/blocked.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I think "ras le bol" is quite strong; not to be used lightly by us foreigners. It's so hard to tell, isn’t it, who can say what?
Somehow swearing sounds worse from those whose language it isn’t; I can be shocked by French teenagers cadually using the f- word in English, whereas it would sound quite run-of-the-mill from native speakers.

Report   Reply Quote

That surprises me .. as ras le bol is not regarded as being at all strong here-abouts, it is used by the most mild-mannered of older French ladies ☺
I've always thought of it as the equivalent of being sick and tired of smthg or fed up to the back teeth.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

I also find it used by friends who are ‘fed up to the back teeth’ by somebody or something or other. Not overly strong.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I think it is used more as a written statement than used in spoken language. Usually on placards.

I don't think it is offensive at all.

If someone does say it, they tend to point to their head when saying it.

They do that don't they the French. They point to their body when saying things.

Like 'is it written pigeon on my head' (or whatever it is in French) whilst pointing at their head. Then you look at their head to actually see if it is written pigeon.

I have yet though to see anyone with pigeon written on their head.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

maybe its the french equivalent of "its doing my bloody head in" so thats why they point to the head.??

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine