French Food and Wine

Topic has 49 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Does anybody actually LIKE galette des roi?

And do you have to go through the rigmarole of the smallest person present having to hide under the table, and then call out the name to whom the next slice should be delivered?

Actually I find the French tend to dislike dried fruit, so must find British obsession with mince pies in Dec/Jan equally annoying.
   Report   Reply Quote

So that might explain why dried fruit is so expensive and glacé cherries so hard to find?

Loiseau, I don't know about your mince pies but my French friends can't seem to get enough of mine AND they love fruit cake.  Mind you, both my mince pies and fruit cake have been greatly enhanced by idun's recipesBig Smile [:D]

Never tried them on Christmas pud so can't comment on that!  I have a feeling that that MIGHT put them off dried fruit!  Took me years to get to like Christmas pud but don't eat it now as I can't buy it and I am too lazy to make my own.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

@ Wooly

Baby ALBF was finally born on Saturday morning.

He will coming home tomorrow.....eek.

I must say, top notch maternity/hospital where he was born with fantastic staff.

ALBF gives them 20/10
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Congratulations. You may be some time, I take it. 😂
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Nah, he ain't no OatesStick out tongue [:P]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Congratulations on the latest addition, albf!
We can probably expect some postings from you in the wee small hours, then...
   Report   Reply Quote

Mint, I am hopeless at making mince pies, and anyway only like to eat a max of about three a year.
I specially dislike them served, cold, alongside mulled wine, which often seems to happen pre-Christmas!

Galette des rois seems to vary from area to area. I remember somewhere (I think Paris) where it was more of a biscuit thing than the flaky pastry or brioche things that I was always being served in the Vendée. The advantage of the biscuity version was that if you looked at the base you could usually spot the baby Jesus showing through the bottom crust.

Report   Reply Quote

Mazal Tov @ M. et Madame ALBF Smile [:)]
Especially Madame - sounds like a long drawn out birth.
I bet his big brother and sister are thrilled to bits!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine