Driving in France

Topic has 30 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Cancelling Car Insurance.

I am happy to scrap the car but before I do that I want to remove some parts as the replacement car is the same basic car and I want to remove the newish parts (alternator, panels, etc.) before I hand it to a breaker for the certificate.  The problem is that here (CP 26620) it's winter and too cold to be working outside.

Remember it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
   Report   Reply Quote

My agent, for the last 2 years, acted in a despicable way.  This isn't the first time they've screwed us over, I've changed the other car's insurance to a very helpful English speaking company who, unfortunately, tell be there's nothing I can do.

Remember it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
   Report   Reply Quote

I haven't studied the current process, nor whether it has changed recently, but I believe you can still declare a vehicle as being off the road and unusable. You may still be obliged to have some basic insurance for it in place, but that should be cheaper, and you can at least keep it legally, with less expense, until you have removed the parts you need.

It is done through the new system, so there may be a delay, but at least it is free.

Details here

EDIT: This information might also be useful

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

There is no SORN equivalent in France - no need because whether it's on or off the road doesn't change the legalities. In the UK, SORN means you don't have to have it taxed and insured. In France it still needs to be insured and there is no road tax in any case. So the administration isn't interested in whether it's on or off the road, they're only interested in who the current owner is up to the point when it gets scrapped (or exported).
As said above, yes the insurers will usually reduce your premium to a minimum.

According to various websites including this one, casses will take cars free as long as they are complete but if they're not complete you might have to pay. Might be worth checking with a casse what you can take off before they start regarding it as incomplete? You don't want to remove an item "just in case you need it" and then discover that that item has made the difference between scapping it for free and being charged possibly more than the value of the item you removed.

"Combien coûte la mise à la casse d'une voiture ?
La destruction d’un véhicule est gratuite, à condition que celui-ci contienne encore ses éléments essentiels :

moteur ;
radiateur ;
pot catalytique, etc.

Si votre véhicule n'est pas en état de marche :

La destruction est toujours gratuite.
En revanche, le remorquage jusqu'au démolisseur est payant. Comptez environ 50 €."
https://achat-voiture.ooreka.fr/astuce/voir/277303/mettre-sa-voiture-a-la-casse-toutes-les-regles
   Report   Reply Quote

What you might be thinking of, Nomoss, is that there used to be a system where if you bought a non runner, you as the buyer could declare it off the road in order to do the change of ownership without a CT. I can't remember if they gave you a carte grise that stated the car couldn't be used on the road or whether it was a different document they gave you. Then when you got it roadworthy and tested you went along with the CT to change its status and get the normal carte grise. I don't know if that's still possible under ANTS.
   Report   Reply Quote

What I was thinking of is what is in the links I posted.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Report   Reply Quote

"What I was thinking of is what is in the links I posted."
LOL, quite. I somehow managed not to see the last couple of lines of your post. I didn't know you could do that.Thanks Nomoss.
   Report   Reply Quote

EuroTrash wrote:
"What I was thinking of is what is in the links I posted." LOL, quite. I somehow managed not to see the last couple of lines of your post. I didn't know you could do that.Thanks Nomoss.

Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine