French Food and Wine

Topic has 21 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Brits bearing gifts

Apple Crumble
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Marmite!
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I was initially undecided about posting this on the forum but am glad I did as the responses have been very helpful. Marmite aside, they have also made me hungry.

Report   Reply Quote

I think your own idea of some of your wife's bara brith plus some of the good cheddar you found for sale sounds perfect.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

I second Sue, bara brith and cheddar!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Apple Crumble, well the french did like it when I started serving it so many years ago, that I cannot remember, but it became popular and I would see it in the shops in little tubs, if not big servings, so no, that is one thing I would take off my list.

And as soon as I saw of it's availability, I took it off my menu.

Marmite, love it or hate it, how could one tell, especially if looking at the jar, they might be forgiven for believing that it is a 'nutella' type substance??? Imagine the shock, I say this because I know of this happening.

Good english tea bags, with instructions on how to brew properly, so it would be proper tea, would be another suggestion, even the tissanes one buys in the UK don't just have the smell, but flavour too. How the french get away with the tissanes they sell is beyond me.

Report   Reply Quote

We found some excellent Cheddar in Super U at St Pons-de-Thomières, sold under their own brand.

We even went back there on another recreational drive a couple of weeks later, as it is an excellent small supermarket, and we have not visited the area to the North of here for some years.

Now that our nearest Super U, at Trèbes, has reopened following the floods, we intend to go by there next week and check it out.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

We've taken those fancy tins of tea bags that one can buy on the ferry. Tins of shortbread and biscuits as well.
Sometimes we've taken wine from the vineyard which is close to our UK home.
There are now several gin distilleries close to us but the gin which comes in beautiful bottles is very pricey.
Cendrillon
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine