French Language

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: A question for YCCMB

And very kind too! Thank you :-)
Be alert!! Your country needs lerts.....
   Report   Reply Quote

When I started my reply reply, it got zapped in the ether. I said two things which I couldn't be bothered to retype.
One was "I wouldn't worry, plenty of people will pop along with a view. It is, after all, a forum"
Another was "there are many ways to avoid using the subjunctive at all, and I strongly recommend trying all of them"

And lo, my predictions were correct. I am more than happy to say that both ET and Norman have provided excellent answers .

One other thing I said when my original answer disappeared was that it depends on your audience as to how much of a damn they give anyway. One thing you do find when teaching (insert language here) as a foreign language, is that those learning a second or third language are more often than not greater sticklers for the correct use of the language than many native speakers. e.g. I keep getting my linguistic knuckles rapped by a friend for saying "un copain à....X. " I know it's "de", but half the people I know locally say à. I've lapsed off the other end of being grammatically perfect, it appears. Not that I ever was!
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

At the risk of appearing a know-it-all (far from..) I know, I know, I know and I know lol. I just lurrrve hearing them say that I speak 'better' French than their children/friends/neighbours.... whatever. Pure vanity :-)
And I will sort out this subjunctive thing, if it takes me the rest of my life. Oh and that's another one....no rule for à or 'de' in front of a verb. Isn't it about time the Académie got off their backsides and defined one? All you get is a Gallic shrug and 'you learn it as you go along'. Oh no you don't!
   Report   Reply Quote

I agree with the avoid tactic - if I see a potential subjunctive appearing on the horizon I change tack. Unless it's one I'm rock solid on, and then I aim straight at it just to show off :-) :-) I'm reliable on Il faut que je fasse and a few others.

I may have said this before but when I was new in France, first time I got the sweep in, Dad went up on the roof while grubby little lad - he couldn't have been more than 16 and he looked less - was tasked with pushing the brush up the chimney. I have a huge fireplace but the chimney itself is deceptively narrow, so the little lad started with a big brush which got nowhere, then kept trying smaller and smaller brushes until he got impatient and started muttering to himself "pas possible qu'elle soit si petite". It tickled me pink that small grubby French chimney sweeps should be so good on their subjunctives.

Now the lad has grown into a tall good-looking young man and taken over dad's business and he brings a mate with him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's soon bringing his own nipper round with him.
   Report   Reply Quote

Not sure if this will work.....https://youtu.be/ribZ06BmFf4 but if it does, it's one of a series worth a look on a wet, miserable day :-)
@EuroTrash lol...
   Report   Reply Quote

Tricky one, but "mon feeling" would be for no subjunctive.
I like Norman's more elegant construction of the beginning, too.

EDIT
Whoops, I hadn't realised this thread had passed onto a second page while I was driving found the DIY stores of west London, so my réponse lacks erudition and is sadly out of date.
   Report   Reply Quote

I’m another who avoids the subjunctive almost always, unless I know I’m on safe ground.

I remember how pleased I was when I first heard a Frenchman get a subjunctive wrong - that really gave me hope.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

There's also the whole issue of the subjunctive being a "mood" and not a tense, which brings me out in hives.
I agree ET, there are always those moments when you kinda want to lob in a subjunctive like a well-primed grenade, just to prove you can. On the day-to-day though, "Hop! On se casse!" seems perfectly adequate and a lot less bother than "il faut qu'on s'en aille"

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine