French Language

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Has your French affected the way you speak English ?

I don't see enough French speaking people nearly enough to speak French here in France or English people to speak English for that matter.

But when I go back to uk I have the urge to speak French all the time! How odd.
   Report   Reply Quote

Pas du tout.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

I mix up both languages when speaking, certainly, and some English words don't come to hand immediately, especially when hubby says - what's this in English !  But then, my French is sometimes completely wrong too!

I do find myself thinking, that's the wrong side of the road when in England, driving or being driven!!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Stangely enough, I hesitate more when speaking in English than I do in French.  Could be because, in day to day life, OH is the only person I speak English to.  Even then, he is Welsh and we both sometimes use a Welsh construction even when speaking in English and certainly we use many Welsh words.

For English, it's not just speaking but writing too, stupid hesitations like, well,like writing "stupid" and I think I need an e as in stupide.

With speaking, it's words like responsabilité, qualité, capacité, etc.

Mind you, English isn't my first language either though, when I was in university, I was classed as a "native speaker" (a course that requires the student to be a "native speaker" of English, whatever native speaker means).

As for words like bache (no it's not exactly tarpaulin, is it) or poele or devis, I stopped thinking of these things in English a very long time agoSmile [:)]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine