French Language

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: another grammatical question

The are always differences between the contemporary spoken form of the language and the ‘rules’. I was always amused in the days of Anglo Info because they often appeared to have attracted a population who wrote English as they spoke it, with no understanding of or respect for conventions.
For the majority of British people in France being able to communicate is far more important than getting the details spot on and if they learn by speaking to their friends and neighbours the norms of spoken French will be more important than theoretical correctness. No difference to our first language there then.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the replies - there's more to it than I thought, lots of grammar rules that I either never learnt, or have forgotten.
BinB I agree about communication (verbal) being the main thing for british people in France.
I used to babble on and probably made lots of mistakes but enjoyed the conversations.

Report   Reply Quote

I had to laugh, Betty, when I met this one .. I would often miss out one of the negatives, but with me it was always the pas and not the ne ... now I do it more like a really frenchie.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

I found this example today:

"Une quincaillerie comme on en trouve plus!" Leaving out the 'ne'.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine