French Food and Wine

Topic has 23 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Gratin Dauphinois

Not noix de muscade??? I love nutmeg 😀
   Report   Reply Quote

wow - why repeat.

A standard recipe from the internet and varied by chucking in this and that and:

https://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance-forums/cs/forums/3519756/ShowPost.aspx

Plus other threads on here - search function on here works well.

Experiment - OH seems to do well !!!

NB We started spring cleaning today - 5 full cylinders of dust/dog hair. But people on this forum seem to think such day to day activity is below them in favour of definitive better information.

Why not start a thread saying what you have done today without turning cooking into a science.
My name is Richard , not Dick or any variant.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

richard51 wrote:
wow - why repeat. A standard recipe from the internet and varied by chucking in this and that and: https://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance-forums/cs/forums/3519756/ShowPost.aspx Plus other threads on here - search function on here works well. Experiment - OH seems to do well !!! NB We started spring cleaning today - 5 full cylinders of dust/dog hair. But people on this forum seem to think such day to day activity is below them. NB1 Other houses next? grrrr Why not start a thread saying what you have done today without turning cooking into a science.

I think most people on here clean their houses more often than once a yearBig Smile [:D]

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

depends on how many houses old boy!!!!

And how many use them.
Dick is a crude name for a functional organ that is used as a derogatory name. Any reference to me as Dick will be met with equivalent response. Strange that it cant be policed better.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

richard51 wrote : NB We started spring cleaning today - 5 full cylinders of dust/dog hair. But people on this forum seem to think such day to day activity is below them.

But hang on .. Spring comes but once a year so how can Spring cleaning be a day to day activity ?

Plus Richard51 wrote : Why not start a thread saying what you have done today without turning cooking into a science.

But, but .. according to my ex-scientist (retired) husband cooking is a science .. the turning of a number of ingredients into a culinary delight/masterpiece/work of art is chemical science .. pure and simple. From the mixture of ingredients with the added input of heat.
Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

Science requires reproducible factors - very rarely available in the kitchen - Your OH should know this.

Plus the +/- factors.

Science is the process of discovery. Cooking is about making, not discovering, so it can't be a science.

eg add nutmeg - how much - a pinch, a gram, a whole nut, crushed, whole? it could go on!

More of an art as you say !!!

NB spring cleaning can last a long time - perhaps some people do not bother.
ex Consultant NHS

Report   Reply Quote

Is food preparation a science or an art ? An interesting question. I have an acquaintance who is very experienced teacher of A level Food & Nutrition. She won't accept anyone in her class who does not have O level chemistry and she is responsible for writing one of the standard text books for the course.
   Report   Reply Quote

Of course science is involved in cooking, and yet it is the art of cooking.

I HATED science subjects at school, physics, chemistry and biology but I can cook and bake exceedingly well in spite of my lack of knowledge and interest in the sciences.

And one can chuck stuff in to recipes sometimes, but not always as it simply changes what people will expect to eat and basically some things are far tooo good to clart on with.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine