Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 23 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Fosse/pipework problem

Does THIS help?

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you Nomoss, that helps a lot. There is someone who sorts it out only 6 km away.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Mogs, Just seen your post. We're glad you've found someone relatively close who can sort it for you as it sounds like it needs a professional - not the nicest job.
   Report   Reply Quote

To update, I poured about 12 sachets of eparcyl in the actual fosse, gave it a good stir, saw a lot of gurgling then put another few sachets down the toilets. It's so messy that stuff isn't it.

Anyway, the toilet and drains seem to be better, although I think still blocked somewhere but I'm keeping fingers crossed it will be ok until Wednesday when OH can take over.

After being away for 5 weeks, poor lad is going to have a busy 5 days before away again.
   Report   Reply Quote

Your Fosse is supposed to have a crust on the top , that `s how the system works ,anaerobic digestion in the tank and aerobic in the drainage field .( hope you have not now blocked the latter ) there should be a filter on the out let of the tank pouzzolane or cinder type this is more likely the problem if the inlet is clear...in might even be on the inlet to the drainage field ..have a poke at that with a long stick
Dave
   Report   Reply Quote

If it is a realtively modern system there should be two concrete lids over "Regards" in the area where the drainage field is. The first one should be where the liquid comes out of the septic tank and over the pouzzane into the drainage pipes that sit over the gravel. If you can find this one, you could lift the cover and see if the liquid is indeed running out of the septic system into the drainage field. The second "regard" is usually at the base of the drainage field. If there is nothing coming out at the first regard, then you can try clearing the pipework that runs back to the tank.
   Report   Reply Quote

Not sure.

The fosse itself has 1st chamber which is the one I was stirring in the eparcyl.

The 2nd chamber has a filter that can be lifted out. This chamber had some dirty coloured liquid in but only at the bottom. It wasn't full.

I haven't a clue but does this sound about right?
   Report   Reply Quote

I'm pretty sure the levels should be the same in the two chambers, so, as I said previously, it is likely that the connection between them is blocked.

I think that it will be necessary to empty the fosse to access this.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine