French Language

Topic has 32 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: A few French homophones

But we do say them differently, even me who has no 'ear' at all for languages.

And that is because when my tots were learning their alphabet, that is one thing I had to learn properly, AND I have had to spell things out all the time in french.

And OH, excellent french and son who speaks perfect french, both say these like me.

How to describe

well with a french accent the difference between 'sea' and 'say'.

I agree with the rest of the list though.Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Most people pronounce c as "sea" in English and "say" in French, don't they? And the others on the list are all "say" as well, so I'm still confused what the difference is.

Vert as well, for the vers/ver/Vergt list. I had never heard of Vergt, I would probably have gargled at the end.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, I agree, and I said it was the difference between sea and say, but if I wasn't clear, I meant in french

c'est for me is definitely more like 'say', but almost cut short in pronunciation, and I suppose the french sound for c is more like 'si' as the spannish would say it rather than the french.

Complicated I know, but there is a difference.

And I have looked up how to pronounce and listened to 'c' and 'c'est' and there is a difference.

Go to recto/verso dictionnaire and look up them up and further down the page you can listen to them.

I have all too often wondered about how well other posters speak french. I know my own limits,  and my poor 'ear' but maybe I am no better or worse than many other posters. Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

there are also definite regional differences...

'mais' and 'mes' are indistinguishable in the south, but I can hear a difference in 'standard' French.
I think the same is true of the sound in
'je sais'  and 'c'est'

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

QUOTE Eurotrash
Just for good measure you could add the town of Sées, in Normandy.
CLOSE QUOTE

I think the final S is pronounced in the town name: SAYSS

No doubt a local will correct me if that is not the case.
   Report   Reply Quote

You know me too well wooly.
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau, you are right in that proper nouns can be tricky.

I daresay that you will know the town of Pons in the north Charente.  All of us locals or near locals say Pon and then, lo and behold, one day I was meeting none other than our own Cendrillon at some train station or other and the announcer said quite distinctly that the train from PonS would be arriving at......

So, just to be certain of my grounds, I asked Cendrillon how the town was pronounced and she said all the locals pronounced it WITHOUT the S.

We also have a village near us called St Just and I had heard it said with and without the S.  I used to ask, do you pronounce it like you would the name of "the revolutionary" but, of course, all those well-known revolutionaries (Danton, Robespierre, etc) were from the north of France and they didn't pronounce things like we do here in the southSmile [:)]

ET, yes, I forgot the vert!!  How could I, as I live in the Périgord VertBlush [:$]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

ie Chamonix
Haute Savoyards I know sound the X. And I do.

And not just there as I do for Aix Les Bains and Aix en Provence too.

Yes there are regional differences, shouldn't really be what with republican values etc, but there are.

I reckon if I had moved to the SW then I would have picked up the local accent quite well😀
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine