French Food and Wine

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Cauliflower Cheese and other gratins etc

Kong wrote:
Cantal Entre Deux or Cantal Vieux if you like it tart.

+1

Also, with Intermarche stocking HP sauce, Cantal Vieux in homemade bread with HP is a sandwich to die for.

A friend in need's a pest. Get rid.
   Report   Reply Quote

Here is is usually Emmental or Cantal with some Bleu d' Auvergne to add some sharpness. In England it is a good strong Cheddar or a milder Cheddar with Stilton
   Report   Reply Quote

When my eldest son was a toddler he would attack any cheese he could get hold of, he still loves all cheeses.

His brother and me, are mild cheddar, emmantael, comte, normal gouda or edam people. Hard cheeses and fairly mild.

It isn't as if I don't use strong cheeses as I am very very good at choosing good ones for cheese lovers, including camemberts. And I cook with strong cheeses  for those who like, I just don't and don't eat what I cook or bake.  Firm favourites at the moment are stilton and walnut scones...... beurk, but if you like that sort of stuff, I daresay it is lovelyBig Smile [:D]

My mother would NEVER cook anything she didn't like, and I think it made me a fussy eater really and it simply isn't fair.  Mind you, the only thing I cannot cook, no matter how my husband loves them and that is the inevitable andouillette, just the thought has me feeling very unwell.Woot! [:-))]

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
Idun - Yes choux mix is a better description than bechamel.
As for cheddar here in the UK, it seems much more bland than I remember it. I've had a piece of Edam in the fridge for a while, well overdate, and it's very good now!

You should try these, the potatoes do need sieving though, as the mash needs to be super smooth. And that makes them a bit of a waff on. Still, we enjoy them with such as a bourgignon, something with a sauce at least.

Report   Reply Quote

I do a cheat to avoid making a bechamel, it works really well, adjust the quantities to your taste.

Mix moutarde de Dijon with crème fraiche, stir in some Lidl rapé au trois fromages, grated black Pepper, then spread on parboiled cauliflower.

Could not be more simple, tastes great, I use the same mix for poireaux but in that case I just chuck the ingrédients over them in the pan at the end of the cooking and mix it all up.

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks, Chancer, trying that for lunch!Big Smile [:D]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

I used the slices that they use for raclette
   Report   Reply Quote

Do you mean raclette cheese lindal?

Love raclette, but have never tried it in other cooking apart from raclette and my version of a panini with jambon cru....... miam!

Re your 'cheating' Chancer, I do a cheaty version of risotto, I boil rice until cooked and then I tip it straight onto very very finely chopped onions and then put it all in a bowl, mix well and when it has cooled a little, mix in some creme fraiche and in france, elle et vire cream too and check of seasoning.

Ofcourse it isn't a risotto, but quick and creamy and rather nice.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine