French Food and Wine

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Smile [:)]

Re: lettuce

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/but-not-simpler/i-hate-to-break-it-to-you-but-you-already-eat-bugs/

Report   Reply Quote

I know that Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]!

We all do and we have bestioles living on us too, but a don't count a wriggling inch long limace as something  I feel like eating with my salade compose!

Report   Reply Quote

Idun, Now that you're back in the UK, what do you think of Lettuce you get there. Personally, I find the French Lettuce has more taste than the UK ones, what's your take on that.
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

My take is that I never just eat lettuce on it's own, at all, and so as they are not the tastiest of things..... I would say that the texture is the important thing for me, and biensur a good vinaigrette.

I do put it in sandwiches which always have sauces in them too.

So,  I have not noticed any difference. And the frisee, which is bitter is just as bitter here too, and I always mix it in with other leaves, as I don't like it on it's own.

When we can, we buy endives here and they are just the same, poached or in salads.

Report   Reply Quote

What I would like to know is: why can I not buy "cresson" - watercress - in Normandie, or not our bit! All the French cookery progs show it being used and it makes me cross...

Report   Reply Quote

I have found watercress in Grand Fraise. They also do quite a few things that I haven't found in other shops.

Our nearest one is a good hour away so when we go I usually over buy 😑
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks, you have just reminded me about cress, the little leaved stuff you can grow easily yourself.

I just love egg and cress sandwiches and haven't had any for a while.... funny how your forget old favourites sometimes, at least I do.

Fancy cooking...... lovely...... but some simple things are firm favourites with me.Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

I find the choice of different lettuce-y things much more varied in France than the UK. In the latter, it's cos/romaine, iceberg, and normal floppy, whereas in France you have these plus chicorée frisée, oakleaf (green and red), and then "endives" both white and red (which both cost the earth in the UK).
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine