French Language

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: french argot and colloquialisms

"Wesh" is how I have seen it in textos ...I am not sure that there is a 'real' way...

There is of course a distiction between regional argot such as

simple slang such as several of the example people have quoted

and teenage/immigrant French...a bit the equivalent of 'innit' in English          
Often this plays a part in their exclusion:

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

QUOTE. Suein56
"'Ras-le-bol' is one that confused my other half..."

Now, you see, ras-le-bol is one of the expressions I was not "allowed" to say. Yet people use it all the time, and it sounds/looks to me the equivalent of "I've had it up to here", so I just don't get why it is so "bad".

I shal” have to look up yours, Norman; I have never heard them...

Report   Reply Quote

Ras-le-bol is frequently used by friends and I use it just occasionally as I don’t have cause very often, but haven’t been told by anyone not to use it.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Still getting used to the idea that since I can now post again, I can look again too (so annoying when you see a post you want to reply to, and can't).

Colloquilisms .... well I don't use them very much, as I don't know many (ras-de-bol I learnt in a French lesson before I came here, but have never really had the occasion to use it, except in my mind when doing the tax form!!), so I long ago decided not to bother with them too much.  Even though everyone says I speak good French (well, I don't think I do, but certainly better than many English around here!), but knows I am not French I decided to keep it simple for me, and use the words I know. 

I get the gist when French people use them, along with the rest, but maybe most of our French friends fall in to the better spoken brigade.

And yes, better not to use colloquialisms rather than use them and get them so wrong everybody laughs at you!!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine