French Food and Wine

Topic has 10 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Ze doggy bag

Indeed, Betty.  Every time I go back to the UK, I am amazed and overwhelmed by the portion size.  I have taken to eating starters as the only way out of that quandary!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Portion sizes, well, that also, even in France depends on taking a la carte or a menu. A la carte portions should always be bigger. Son was in the trade and that is what he says should apply, always.

I only ever see menus at lunch time in our bit of the UK. And portions are just right. A la carte main dishes seem to be rather big, but shouldn't they be, to reflect the price difference.

ps, not talking about nouvelle ripoff cuisine....Whistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

The seafood platters...are in France.
Meanwhile, in the UK I've eaten recently at several places ( including Tom Kerridges pub, The Coach) where the dishes are all "tasting" sizes, and if there are two of you, you might order and share 3 dishes between you. The "tapas" idea seems to have expanded beyond the confines of Spanish food and become a far more general thing.
It certainly avoids the problem of wishing you'd ordered what your lunch companion ordered, as you get to share it anyway!
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine