The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 59 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: I dont suppose you've noticed

Lehaut wrote:
................. Instead of copper ease/grease? .................

No, for hydraulic parts - seals, covers, and the outer part of pistons.

I know it's a petroleum product, but I was sold it by a brake shop, and it doesn't seem to have damaged anything in many years.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Other examples are aspirin and paracetamol etc. About ten times more expensive than in the UK.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the money that pharmacies get for each prescribed med?

Report   Reply Quote

Betty, have you tried WD40 with a little perfume to kill the odour?🙀
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

On the Boots web site: Vaseline Original Petroleum Jelly 100ml £2.09 (so about €2.30)
https://www.boots.com/vaseline-original-petroleum-jelly-100ml-10017603
   Report   Reply Quote

I often use this site for non prescription items https://www.1001pharmacies.com/search?q=vaseline&page=1

Delivery charge is very reasonable, especially if you buy several items.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

I found what I could get from pharmacies in France very confusing and expensive.

For kids scrapes, all I could get was mercuochrome, red it was and I didn't like putting red on a wound in case it became infected. No savlon on germolene.

Never bought vaseline in France, but I daresay that would have cost an arm and a leg.

When I had my first baby in a clinic they gave a list of products to buy, and as I had not been offered or had any anti natal classes, was clueless, so we bought the lot. Cost a fortune.

Years later my friend had her baby in the same clinic and was given a similar list, and I crossed most of the stuff out, much to her consternation, but she only did buy what I suggested.

So yes, basics are too dear in France. Far too expensive and the health service is being conned as far as I am concerned, and as Betty said, those who pay in.

Report   Reply Quote

In the interim, I have discovered that Action have, indeed, opened in my local town, so I've just been down there and obtained a 250ml tub of their finest Vaseline for the princely sum of 99 cents. Vaseline with the Vaseline trademark was about €2 for 200ml. So the lesson is clear. Pharmacies are ripping people off.
Clearly there are some things that the Great European Model has not managed to sort out. And this is a good example. It's a shame that everyone is, knowingly or unknowingly, subsidising this sort of thing through their taxes , social charges and insurance premiums though.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hope it cures your joggers nipple YCCMB
Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine