The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: unlikely to interest anybody but.....

Thank you.  Just so frustrating when I couldn't put names to the music.  I knew it had to be Ravel, Debussy and Fauré as it was so impressionistic.

The Saint Saens and Après un reve were superb, ravishing in the context of the whole presentation.

I think the BBC must have had the music specially commissioned for the production as it melded perfectly with the text and what was going on.  Played with real class and sensitivity.

I also thought that Debussy's Elégie might have been in the mix but I must confess that I had the outmost difficulty deciding whether to concentrate on the text or on the music!

You have frequently said of music programmes that you wished they wouldn't interrupt the music with spoken words.  I have to reluctantly admit that spoken passages are not always improved by music, especially when the music is inappropriate (or worse, not of the period!)  In this case, however, the music and the words blended seamlessly into each other.

Sovereignty: the right to eat cholorinated chicken.
from The Little Book of Brexit Bo ll oc ks
   Report   Reply Quote
Big Smile [:D]

The one tiny bit of "nit-picking" I had was with the pronunciation of French names, which often showed the difficulty English actors have with certain French sounds such as "r" and "u"....
I am no better, but then I am not on the radio...
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

YES, exact (as the French say!), but I didn't like to comment on that aspect as I didn't feel on solid groundWoot! [:-))]

But the pronunciation of ponte vecchio (when they were talking about Florence) was also incorrect.  But, as the young Marcel was speaking, perhaps the child (albeit a very precocious one) could be forgiven for that error!

BTW, I heard the Ravel string quartet played recently in an early evening concert. I am taking the liberty of posting you some info on the concert:

Unfortunately, it's very rare that we get such illustrious musicians in our neck of the woods, but  the cellist is a family friend and he has a second home nearby

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you very much, Norman. The music fitted so well, and didn’t interfere with listening to the words, as can happen. I guessed that the composers you link to were likely to have been used as he would know their work well.

The link to the Fauré was lovely; I love Après un Rêve and Monet’s paintings in the clip gave an extra perspective.

Mint, it sounds wonderful to have the opportunity to attend that concert.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Off thread...I like this version of Debussy's piano music:

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

SuperbBig Smile [:D]
   Report   Reply Quote

That was sublime Norman, thank you.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Ok, guys, I have had another reply from the BBC and here are the ones we missed out:

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine