French Language

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: teaching Romanian

Alas she is much more likely to know Nicolae Guta (pronounces Gootsa)

This is extremely popular in Romania ...the style is known as 'manele' (man ay lay,) and Guta himself is a bit like Johnny Hallyday was in France  a national idol quite inexplicably to people from elsewhere

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

You could get in her good books from the start by mastering the Romanian for "Good morning", which we were taught by our lovely Romanian guide during a tour of Transylvania last year:
Not correct spelling, but hopefully an aid to pronunciation:

Boon-ah dimin-ah-ta

I tried it out back home, on the builders next door, and they were amazed!

I think, as has been said, try out French as well, and - if all else fails - just point to the bits of equipment needed and mime the actions!

Report   Reply Quote

I'm just going to suggest that if she's applied for and got a job as a cleaner,she probably knows the basic uses of cleaning materials and implements without needing to have them demonstrated to her, either through the medium of mime, interpretive dance or anything else.

I'd also suggest that it's possible that someone else has described her level of English to you, and that this is likely to be a bit wide of the mark. I've often had family members tell me that a prospective student "speaks no English" and I've prepared accordingly, only to find that they actually manage quite well, albeit with a limited vocabulary.

Pat, I'd suggest you wait and see a little bit. Once you've met, I'm sure you can take on board some of the excellent suggestions already made.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks to all, especially for Boonah deminata. Like bon demain (good tomorrow?) Or more like Bon Matin.
Betty - I know she has hardly any english (though maybe she understands a bit) because when she came for an interview she had her Romanian friend on her mobile phone, translating for her.
She's just starting out, this is her second job.
Feeling more confident now.

Report   Reply Quote

Perhaps we might help by suggesting a list of basicl language she might need? Things like numbers, days, dates etc plus a few commands. 👹
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

buna zuia (boona zyou aa) is good day (as opposed to good morning
Ce Faci? (chay fatch) is like ça va in French
Multzumesc frumos (multzoumesk froomose) thanks very much...but Mersi is used too..

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I agree with Betty for once :)

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, mersi - pronounced exactly like the French word - is indeed another one for the armoury.

I did have a go at learning the language a bit via the Duolingo app, but never seemed to get to anything more interesting than: “I am a woman; I am not a child”; "I have milk and a book; I do not have a newspaper.”
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine