French Food and Wine

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Tabouleh

This is how our bonne femme used to make couscous from semoule when we lived in Algeria

It was even more boring than "cleaning" the rice - i.e. spreading it out on the kitchen table to take out the little stones and mouse turds.

This becomes quite satisfying once you get the hang of moving the rice under your hand from one side of the table to the other while simultaneously flicking the unwanted bits into a separate pile.

The kids used to love helping with the job.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

We used to get pantry moths. They loved all dried goods such as couscous, laid their eggs which turned into tiny worms. Plus cobwebby  stuff. So you had to keep all dried goods in closed containers.
That's assuming they weren't already infested, like yours nomoss.
I haven't seen pantry moths here yet, but you never know, with global warming.

Report   Reply Quote

Presumably, nomoss, ypu made a sort of Colman’ Mouseturd sauce?🤪
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:
Presumably, nomoss, ypu made a sort of Colman’ Mouseturd sauce?🤪

No but sounds tasty, maybe with road killBig Smile [:D]

When we were back in England, the kids were really disappointed they could no longer take charge of cleaning the rice.

We once found a jar at the back of a cupboard jammed solid with moths which had hatched out. Mabe the pantry moths mentioned by Pat.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

Report   Reply Quote

My eyesight is not what it used to be which means I sometimes misread texts with odd results. I was intrigued therefore to read that nomoss had ‘panty moths’, that famous condition suffered by elderly ladies!
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

My friends in France often used to go to Italy and one of the things they would bring back was Polenta, they would store it in the freezer to stop the moths.

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
We used to get pantry moths. They loved all dried goods such as couscous, laid their eggs which turned into tiny worms. Plus cobwebby  stuff. So you had to keep all dried goods in closed containers.
That's assuming they weren't already infested, like yours nomoss.
I haven't seen pantry moths here yet, but you never know, with global warming.

Do the grubs look like little pink threads with a black spot at one end?  Would that be their eye or their backside?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Read all about them here

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine