The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 31 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Being poorly

Remember the ice on the inside of the windows, soupagirl?
And getting dressed in the morning under the covers?
Those were the days (not really).
And @ALBF -
wor Dad's bad wi' the beor

Report   Reply Quote

Brrrrrr, that ice on the inside windows! It did make some beautiful patterns, though.

I am under the weather at the moment so, like idun, lingering in my bed hoping it will pass soon. I might try the lemon drink; sounds good.

Report   Reply Quote

I remember my early thoughts about the french people I was starting to know well, was that when it came to illness, they generally made ordinary things out to be worse than they really were.

ie a simple cold, miserable ofcourse, was ALWAYS La Grippe, and getting proper flu is not a simple cold......... and look at the crise de foie,  I personally do not know of one french person who does not consider this a serious complaint.

So what would I say for 'under the weather' in french..... 'pas dans mon assiette?

All those childhood illnesses that were best to get at the time as a child. And why people do not vaccinate against as many of them as they can these days is beyond me. My husband only ever had measles as a child and consequently caught chicken pox in his forties.......and boy was he ill with it. Not sure if he caught mumps too, but I do remember the chicken pox.

I had everything as a child and was always in bed until deemed fit enough to get up. Yes, my Dad's great coat on the bed in mid winter, and what with all the blankets, and the eiderdown, and that, you have reminded me that I could hardly move.

We only had one fire lit in winter in a small sitting room, so the bedrooms were glacial and ice on the windows.

And it was true, we didn't catch colds, although I remember my mother and I catching proper flu and Dad putting me in bed with her, so that he only had one bedroom to deal with and one lot of bedding.

My cold is worse today, I coughed the night away and feel awful. Voice about gone now and am exhausted, but it is not life threatening, just miserable and it is only a cold.

The lemon drink was sliced lemons put into a big bowl, with a spoon on honey and some sugar and then boiling water poured onto it slowly and stirred and stirred. It was never too sweet, nor bitter, so I take it my Dad would taste it to get it just right.

In fact I think I shall make some now. Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Get well soon, idun. Sounds horrid.
I like "ne pas être dans son assiette. Trust the French to find a foodie twist!

I'm going to try your lemon concoction; sounds delish.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes, get well soon Idun and the others who are feeling poorly.

I have a similar concoction to your lemon one.  Sometimes, we'll add in a splash of bourbon to help you go to sleep (when the stuffy nose won't let you).

We did use the same term when I was young.  I still use it today, but I know it isn't used by the young folks - yet they all know what it means.

And those frosty windows sound awful !  Luckily, where I grew up, it didn't get THAT cold and we did have a heating system that was decent.

Report   Reply Quote

Get well soon both of you.

I don’t think we used the word poorly.
Our universal medicine was butter beaten into sugar. It was even used for a bump on the head. No possibility of a lemon where I lived

I see your frozen windows and I raise you -
my face flannel solid and stuck to the sink in the morning.

I do remember the adults using hushed tones if someone had ‘a fire in his bedroom’ it seemed like saying he was expected to die.

Good to see you back Lori.
   Report   Reply Quote

“Butter beaten into sugar”?
That's what my my mum used to ice cakes with!

I have to hand it to you, though, Hoddy, with the frozen face flannel.

Lemon and honey went down a treat tonight!
   Report   Reply Quote

Hoddy, that was astonishing!

Anybody ever get the dreaded Friar’s Balsam, head covered with a cloth over a bowl 9f the foul stuff? Mark you, never had it again after departing for warmer climes.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine