Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: VAN HIRE

Our move is reasonably imminent (11th hour boundary hitches permitting !) but will be staged because we don't want to leave UK until our house is sold so I have bought a second hand box trailer, e.g. http://www.batesontrailers.com/trailer-detail.asp?ID=6&cat=1 and I reckon I can do the job in this in 2 1/2 trips.

Depending on day and time I can get across from Dover to Dunkirk on Norfolk Line for as little as £91 return which is very reasonable IMHO. On top of estimated fuel cost's of say £100 per round trip plus incidentals thats the job done for around about £750-800.

After the move I'm sure I could probably get most, if not all, of my money back by selling the trailer on although in truth I'll probably end up keeping it as I can imagine it could well come in quite useful once settled in France, cough cough Wink [;-)] Wink [;-)]

Report   Reply Quote

Clueless- BCR, Gatwick and Ewhurst (www.bcruk.com) and Henfield Hire, Horsham and Crawley (www.henfield-hire.com).

Ernie's trailer idea is a good one too.

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks again Will - we used to live very near Ewhurst and are only about 45 minutes further away now so that could prove very useful. This thread links well to a current item on the 'Buying a property' forum about buying new or taking things over from the UK. Naturally, opinions differ...!
   Report   Reply Quote

BCR is definitely at the budget end of the market, the first van we hired from them was painted bright yellow and had 'rent a wreck' on the door - seriously - but it did the job very well indeed and didn't cost a lot.
Will

Report   Reply Quote

Care to post a link to the thread in question please clueless!.

I don't see any "Buying a Property" forum.

Report   Reply Quote

Sorry - that should have been 'Finding/Owning French Property', and the subject is 'Move it or buy a new lot', with 42 posts.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi,

Not sure if this company is near you, but AFFORD rental (cars & vans) offered me a Luton van for 4 days for £500 all inclusive except for breakdown insurance which you had to provide yourself. I suppose that if you live near the ferry ports you could (depending where you are moving to) do 2/3 runs!

roseysan

Report   Reply Quote

Depends where you are, what you want to do, how far you are going but BCR's rates for a Luton are £70 per day or £300 for a week - extras are overseas breakdown insurance (can't remember what we paid) and you pay for mileage above 200 per day.

First time we hired from them (when signing for our first French house) we got a Luton at no extra charge because the standard model was not available. At Portsmouth P&O (then running to Cherbourg) refused to take it because it was higher than the van we had booked. But Brittany Ferries took us to Caen with no trouble. So we got our house, even though turning up at the notaire's in a 'rent a wreck' clutching a bank draft for many thousands of francs caused some amusement. Neither notaire nor sellers spoke English but they understood that slogan. The van was invaluable for the next couple of days buying furniture, gardening equipment etc. So a couple of  years later we hired from them again, a bigger Luton, for the final move to carry all the stuff we hadn't been able to fit into our own standard transit.

And I have preferred Brittany Ferries to P&O ever since. With good reason, as things turned out.

Edit - there's a follow-on story which I might tell you some time (unless you agree to pay me) involving a bed, and how we found the other hire company I mentioned that would allow you to go to France.

Will

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine